Rise is jumping around

Moderator: Mods

jenica1026

Rise is jumping around

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi all,

Rise is jumping around and talking and his wings are out slightly - it looks a lot like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AQv1lfF8k

but his wings are just slightly out and there is no hen to be showing off to - in fact, he is on top of an empty cage jumping around on the plexiglass so what is he doing - mating? - why? Jan
SkyeBerry

Re: Rise is jumping around

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi...I have a four year old male. He does a lot of the same often saying 'Peek-a-boo' at the same time. I think my bird is playing more than anything. He is not trying to mount anything. I don't worry about it.

I am sure someone else will chime in soon.
Mary
jenica1026

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the reply - does your male also growl? Rise is molting and perhaps just edgy but he is growling (a deep gravel sound) and a bit nippy. He certainly isn't sweet and cuddly - lol!

He is still getting to know us and the last few days, he has decided to jump from the top of his cage to my head and start picking - possibly preening me. He, also, is flying around the room and trying to sit close to me and then he will fly off. Both he and Shine are trying to get close to me and playing with my husband's baseball cap's bill while it is on his head. It was funny to see and talk about now but scary for both my husband and Shine when Shine decide to clamp down on bridge of his glasses and when me husband leaned back away from Shine who was perched on the top of his cage at the time but as my husband backed away, Shine came with the glasses. Shines wings went out as he tried to find a way to perch on my husband's nose and now my husband has both of his hands up between his face and Shine trying to get him to unclamp from the glasses - this all lasted about 3 seconds or so but it scared both of them and Shine's claw caused my husband's nose to bleed a little.

We bandaged my husband up and checked on Shine to make sure he was okay and hopefully, my husband will not try that again. Just the joys of owning a bird - lol! Thanks again for helping me understand Rise and Shine, Jan
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Rise and Shine - that's cute. I have Sunny (a sun conure) and Skye (blue Ringneck). Based on the noises I have heard other Ringnecks make, I am not sure mine knows he is one. I am not sure how many other birds were in his clutch but I do know his brother was removed because of a deformity that required surgery and special care. When I saw him, he was fledging with the conure. Skye is a somewhat anxious bird and looks for Sunny and I for a lot of assurance. Other than Conure noises, Skye picks up my words. I don't think he has ever growled...It is not something I remember...but I am pretty sure I have read other birds do so.

This is the only post I have read of yours and I have no idea how much you know of birds, if these are your first, the birds' ages etc. But it sounds like you should become familiar with hormonal changes and breeding behaviour and what you need to watch for and not encourage. Both males and females can become hormonal. Generally, it affects the females more....I think. Sunny and Skye are my first parrots larger than a lovebird. Skye went through a nippy/biting phase that you can read about on this forum. I believe it was hormonal and it has passed and things are fine. I do not know what sex Sunny is. He/she is also 4yrs but I think devoid of hormones although he can get cranky so I generally call him a her. :wink:

I wish I had more time - I have actually been away for a while and I popped in to say 'hi' to a couple friends when I saw your question. If you are new, a bit of advice...most people arrive with the same questions...sometimes members answer right away and sometimes they wait and hope others will answer - my opinion - no offense to anyone I hope. You will learn a lot, and likely get more accurate help in the end, if you use the search function first and then ask more specific questions. That said, if it was an urgent and/or dangerous issue, I am sure one or more members would jump in quite quickly. Finally, I have had my two for 4 years and they keep me guessing. Never be afraid to ask...and research while waiting for an answer.

Hope to read more about Rise and Shine when I have more time. Good Luck and Enjoy!
Mary