New bird molting

Moderator: Mods

Adillis

New bird molting

Post by Adillis »

So I just purchased a 2yo (was told female) IRN a couple days ago. She was already molting when I picked her up, and I had some behavioral questions about her. I've read that they can get more irritable when molting is occurring, but I'm just not sure if that's the cause, or just the fact that she's new. She will easily step up onto my finger then happily jump up to my shoulder on her own. If I try to touch her other than that then she seems to get into an aggressive posture with head down beak open and pupils contracted. Can I expect this behavior to go away after molting is complete or is this new bird aggression? I'm also a little unsure about how to approach the aggressive behavior as I'm not sure what is the cause. I'm a new bird owner and can't quite find this same scenario online with searching so figured it would be best to ask some advice. Also since I got her during the weekend the vet's office wasn't open, so she'll be going in Friday for a health check to make sure she isn't having any problems there.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.
sanjays mummi

Re: New bird molting

Post by sanjays mummi »

This sounds normal behaviour to me, fickle is as fickle does!, as for moulting, I give Sanjay "Feather Up" to provide all the extra minerals and vitamins needed to ensure a stress free moult. You must be doing something right to have her sitting on you so soon!. You can order "Feather Up" online, if you cannot find a local supplier. Here's wishing you both many happy years together.
Adillis

Post by Adillis »

Thank you. She will be going to see the vet this Friday just to be sure that everything with her health is good. I don't really understand it, but from the day we brought her home she would step up for me and run right up my arm or jump to my shoulder. I better not try to scratch her though or she looks like she wants to take off my finger. She won't even let my wife get near without trying to appear aggressive.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Possibly she is used to sitting on shoulders and feels it is a safe place to be in a new environment.

A lot of ringnecks don't like being patted (including my two). I am still trying to learn more on how indian ringnecks interact with each other in a tactile sense, from what I have found so far they seem to be fairly limited in how much they touch each other compared to some other species.

I have just started a thread of my recommended reading for parrot owners, it is a work in progress but you will find enough to fill up your spare time for a while http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 42#p117842

I definitely recommend you look over the link on healthy relationships near the bottom of the first post.

It is probably a good idea for your wife to start offering all the best treats. She can do this by dropping treats into the food dish every time she walks by the cage. I'm sure someone else will come in and make more suggestions on here.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

Your bird's behaviour is not aggressive; it is defensive, as in "best defense is a strong offense".
I noticed you did not say your bird was biting, just that it is posturing. If you continue the action that makes the bird defensive then it will have no choice but to make good on it's threat. Don't go there.
-MissK