few questions

Moderator: Mods

Newbirdmom

few questions

Post by Newbirdmom »

I have had my baby just over a week and I just love her. There is times though I think she gets mad at me. She is only 3mo but if I try to take her off my shoulder at times she will act like she wants to bite. Her pupils will dilate and she make the screech noise. She also does it to the kinds when they try to pet her when she is close to me. Could she already be going through the bluffing stage? How should I tell her not to do it? Someone told me to put her back in the cage and leave her alone. Is there something else I can do like telling her no or something. I don't know but I still want her out of the cage and part of the family. Other then the moods swings from time to time she is wonderful.
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Oh Hun:

I use to take that personally too... please dont.

These are moody animals. You literally dont know what youre going to get from one minute to the next. Its like that for all of us. They are just jumpy and a little freaky. They are also pushy and difficult to work with if they arent in the mood.

Baby is my best friend and sometimes she acts like that for days. It still bothers me but I dont take it as personally. Welcome to being a ringneck mommie!
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

I second what Mik said! They are some of the moodiest little birds in the world. All last weekend mine were brats! Remmi wouldn't stop screaming and Byndi would bite you rather than look at you. The best thing to do is tell her no and then put her on her cage or in her cage. Let her know that what she's doing is not acceptable. Then maybe after a while go get her and try again. She's probably like my Byndi and doesn't want to leave your shoulder. And sometimes if Byndi is really bitey when she's on my shoulder I go to her cage and lean down and tell her to step up and she'll step onto her cage. That way I'm not getting bit. As far as her biting when the kids are around I guess that's just another part of their behavior. Byndi won't let my husband pet her, now she'll hang out on his shoulder but he can not pet her. I can pet her and hold her. And she will not sit on your hand. Has to be shoulder or nothing. So it's a guessing game with these birds. But they're well worth it! Good luck and keep us posted.

Jen
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Hi thank you that is just what I thought. She is so sweet one moment the she doesn't want to even be looked at the next. Oh well one more moody person added to my many moody pets and kids don't matter. I breed chinchillas and my females can get very testy and try to chew your hands off. I still love them all the same. Thank you for helping me :)
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

They are the little bipolars of the bird world...happy and content then snap they are moody and can be mean. I swear they will drive you nuts but you will be happy to be there!

Dani Prinny Bodi
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*Dispenses Zoloft to the fids as they all stand in line* :shock:
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

lmao that's too funny Mik though I don't think Prinny could stay in line long enough...she's my little ever in motion girl. She will NOT sit still at all...ADD and bipolar...what a combo!

Dani Prinny Bodi
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I think I have a decent understanding of my birds. While I wish it was clearer they are fairly logical. If i get bit it's cos i've done something wrong or someone else has and I was just there at the time.

I think it's important to further the knowledge of how little bird brains work and reach a better understanding with these guys.
red192

Post by red192 »

I have learned that when Scarley acts that, she wants loving with she coos at me but,,,if she screeches and acts that way, she's telling me to back of Momma or i'm gonna get ya again! LOL but i guess it depends on the bird.
Terri & Geoff
and all 16 FIDS