Buying another ringneck HELP

Moderator: Mods

Princess Yuz

Buying another ringneck HELP

Post by Princess Yuz »

I really want to buy another ringneck to keep skyler company,however I don't know whether he is boy or a girl and I am going to keep them n the same cage. I am not sure what to do any ideas.
MissK

Re: Buying another ringneck HELP

Post by MissK »

#1 Get Skylar DNA tested so you actually *do* know. My vet charges $50 for this.
#2 Insist your new bird be DNA tested before you buy as well.
#3 Assume you cannot keep them in the same cage and then be pleasantly surprised if it does work out
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:#1 Get Skylar DNA tested so you actually *do* know. My vet charges $50 for this.
#2 Insist your new bird be DNA tested before you buy as well.
#3 Assume you cannot keep them in the same cage and then be pleasantly surprised if it does work out
Oh right thanks I was thinking of getting a semi tame African grey but they will be in separate cages do u think they will get on. Reason being is that I went to a friends house n they are not giving enough attention to there African grey and they said I could have if for £500 with a big cage I immediately fell in love with it n I knew I could tame it the moment I saw it. I really want it so I can spoil it n give it lots of attention. Do you think this is a good idea. Plus skyler is very shy and quiet and I hoping coco the African grey will help him come out of his shell.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Princess, how did you come to change your mind from getting another Ringneck to keep in the same cage with Skyler, to getting an African Grey in it's own cage, in the last three and a half hours :?: You have not even had Skylar three weeks yet. I think you should give him a chance to settle in.
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:Princess, how did you come to change your mind from getting another Ringneck to keep in the same cage with Skyler, to getting an African Grey in it's own cage, in the last three and a half hours :?: You have not even had Skylar three weeks yet. I think you should give him a chance to settle in.
LOL yh I know but I have just fallen in love with this African grey he needs so much care and attentions and he is not getting it. Skyler has started to open up slightly but I was just wondering if the African grey would be better or worse for him
MissK

Post by MissK »

That I cannot say, but I can caution you against making decisions in a hurry based on emotional reasons.
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:That I cannot say, but I can caution you against making decisions in a hurry based on emotional reasons.
Yh thanks for all the help MissK I will try and make the best decision
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think it is easy to get emotionally overwhelmed by any bird you meet that has substandard living conditions and want to take it home. It is easy to end up overcommitted!
I was offered a couple irns that were dumped at the vets clinic not long after i got Sapphire and I seriously considered adopting them, after talking to my boyfriend I realised
1) I don't have the time to train three new irns to the standard I want.
2) I can't afford emergency vet care for 4 birds if they all got sick at once.
3) buying big enough cages would really stretch my budget
4) I would have to start caging birds during the day to get stuff done, it is hard enough to work at home with 2 little terrorists "helping". Then all 4 birds would all have what I consider substandard lifestyle and I would be the one to blame.

My boyfriend and I would like a little flock of irns one day, but we want an outdoor aviary attached to the house first, as well as the other reasons.

All that I can do for any bird that is living in substandard conditions is to try to educate and engage the owner, not to mention trying to continue to learn more myself so I can give my birds the best standard of care I can!

On another forum I visit there is a sticky on this subject. It is pretty common for people to get sucked into the trap of "rescuing" a heap of birds early on and then finding that they have overcommitted themselves.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I had to avoid buying a bird in a pet shop recently because the people in the pet shop ... well.. they just have a job.... the birds were in bad conditions though... cages hadn't been cleaned in several days... looked like 2-3 day old water too...

gotta pick your battles....

that being said.. i think next time i buy a bird i'll get one from the worst pet shop i can find.... i'll consider it a rescue.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

InTheAir wrote:
All that I can do for any bird that is living in substandard conditions is to try to educate and engage the owner, not to mention trying to continue to learn more myself so I can give my birds the best standard of care I can!

I totally agree.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Thanks everyone I will let you know the decision I make