re: new bird questions

Moderator: Mods

donna/wisconsin

re: new bird questions

Post by donna/wisconsin »

Hi, I just introduced myself under introductions but figured I'd post my questions here also since I don't know if different people look at these posts.

I just got a beautiful blue indian ringneck a few days ago. I've never had a bird before so this is all new to me. I just love him/her.

I'm scrambling to learn about birds now and have been looking up info on the internet but can't find answers for everything.

My bird is just about 3 months old and was weaned and had his wings clipped right before I got him.

My main question is: whenever I take him out of the cage he seems to get very nervous, stretches his head up and tries to fly away. His wings are clipped so he doesn't get far, but I'm confused about this. Should I let him flutter around or try to stop him from doing that? I worry he's going to get hurt.

Also, is it a good idea to leave the cage door open when I'm around to encourage him to come out on his own?

He's very clumsy. He slips around on my finger sometimes and anytime he moves from one spot to another he falls around. When he does try to fly he's the same way, crashing into things, falling around.

One last question: is it better to leave him in the cage more at first and just be around and talk to him and reach in and pet him (he does let me do this). Or is it better to take him out more?

He seems afraid to go on the perches outside his cage. He just flies away from it when I try to put him there. Should I keep trying that or wait until later for that?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm just so confused! I want to interact with him and I'm worried about doing everything wrong!

donna
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

i had the same problem with my babies i raised but they grew out of it.

they still try to fly where they want to go but then they crash and just walk to the destination i have a 7 year old ringneck who still trys to fly and has always had his wings clipped :roll:
donna/wisconsin

birdman,

have they ever gotten hurt? do you just let them flounder around or should I pick him up each time and bring him back to me or the perch?

Also, he won't go on his outside perches yet. Should I keep trying or give him time?

thanks for your help, donna
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

one time one of them made a little whimper when he hit the ground which melted my heart

but now they know they cant fly if i walk away from them while we play then they jump trying to fly to me but then they either turn around and walk back to their cage or walk around fallowing me
Ed Loschi

Let him fly/flop and crash. Irn's are nearly indestructable.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Now don't all ya'all get onto me too hard but IMHO Irn's are practically indestructable.

I clip my guy and he's had some great--I mean spectacular (all successful and safe) crash landings.

He's got the hang of no flight feathers and has now become a fine acrobat.

He gets on our second story porch and climbs through the plants and stuff. When he was first introduced to this area he took a couple of falls to the ground and was not fazed by falling at all. The real scary part is when he can get air pressure and glide angle and take off...or worse if he gets enough lift to fly away.
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

First of all Welcome to the board and Congradulations on your new baby. I too have a blue Indian Ringneck. He is 13 months old and he is clipped as well. He will flap around ontop of his cage and fall down, but he always just walks to me to pick him up or if his ladder is setup, he will climb back onto his cage. His flight feathers did grow back in and a few weeks ago he took off across my living room and landed on the fireplace mantel and when I went to retrieve him, he flew and landed on my cockatiels cage, but I caught him there and took him down that day to get his wings clipped. :lol: :lol:

Yes, it is good to leave his cage door opened and let him come out when he feels like it. While I am at home Tiki's cage door is never closed unless it is bedtime, most of the time he sits ontop of his playtop.

As far as leaving him be in his cage, this is NOT a good idea, because Ringnecks can turn untame VERY quickly and turn into little :twisted: ! They must have daily interaction with you to remain tame.

As far as him being afraid, he is still a baby, give him time to adjust to new things. All birds are different, they each have their own personality just like us humans. Once he gets more stable on learning how to climb around on those slippery cage bars of his, you will have a hard time getting him to go back in! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, we LOVE pictures here, so make sure you post PLENTY of photos!!!!
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

[quote="Lisa's Tiki"]
As far as leaving him be in his cage, this is NOT a good idea, because Ringnecks can turn untame VERY quickly and turn into little :twisted: ! They must have daily interaction with you to remain tame.

Also, we LOVE pictures here, so make sure you post PLENTY of photos!!!![/quote]

while i agree most of my birds go a day or 2 with no contact every once in a while. i even breed a female who for a good 7-8 weeks of not only no interaction with me but she became very aggressive was still as tame as she was before she was a little more timid but after a little handling was just as tame as ever
donna/wisconsin

i just want to say thanks for everyone's comments so far.
this has helped a lot. i was so nervous about him/her getting hurt at first.

now i've been able to take him/her out the last couple days and keep him/her out longer and let him/her fly around a bit.

"he" even started squawking for the first time yesterday! he doesn't play much yet but has started to poke at his toys a little.

i greatly appreciate everyone's help!!

by the way, in case anyone reads this, i have a few other questions posted in other areas that i'm still waiting for answers on. i will post them separately in this area as well, but in case anyone wants to answer them here they are:

1. i have this product called "ornalyte". it's a vitamin supplement that gets mixed in the water. i was told they need it during stressful times like the transition to a new home. i just don't know how long i should keep using it for. does anyone know?

2. my bird is about 3 months old. is it ok to start giving him other foods besides his pellet food?

3. my boyfriend is an artist and there are paintings all over our house.
when the bird was walking on the floor he passed several paintings and went right up against them and fluttered his wings - almost like he was trying to fly INTO them! Does anyone know why he would do this?
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Question 1) Question about Ornalyte, well I am no expert about birds, however I have heard that if your bird is eating pellets they should not be given a supplement in their water. I have never heard of this supplement, so I can’t really tell you one way or the other, but I do know I brought Tiki home at 8 weeks old and I have never given him a supplement. Hopefully someone else will be along to help you on this one.

Question 2) Yes, please start feeding him many different types of veggies and fruit. I would have hoped that he/she was feed fresh fruits and veggies while he was being weaned. You can also feed him/her well cooked chicken and eggs. Tiki loves his eggs scrambled. I sometimes make a birdie omlete, I will chop fresh veggies up in my food chopper and then mix them with the egg and then scramble them in the microwave. Just never feed your bird, chocolate, avocado, fruit seeds like apple, nectarine, etc… for these are toxic to your bird.

Question 3) I wouldn’t know why your bird does this to the paintings, maybe he/she just likes the colors in them. I am concerned though about the paint, does your boyfriend paint in the house and also are the painting left to dry in your house as well? Paint fumes are toxic to birds as well. Aerosol fumes and even those plug in room fresheners are not healthy for birds either. And if you have Teflon (non stick cookware) this is EXTREMLY dangerous to pet birds, even human. Once the pans are heated past a certain temperature they emit fumes that will kill your bird almost instantly. I bought all brand new stainless steel pots and pans when I got my birds.

Remember we LOVE pictures here. The more the better! :lol:
donna/wisconsin

Lisa - thanks so much for your help.

to answer you, my boyfriend has a separate room he paints in. he keeps the door closed and the outside window open, along with a fan blowing the air out the window when he paints.

any fresh paintings are kept in there. varnishing he only does out in the garage. we are cautious about the fumes even for ourselves.

i have been trying to give my bird other foods but he seems to prefer the pellets. he did eat some carrot and a little corn, but has passed up rice, tangerine, peas and sweet potato. i will start reducing the pellets and increasing the fresh food though.

thank you!
donna/wisconsin

pictures

just a quick reply to all of you who have mentioned pictures!

i just got a new camera and have yet to learn how to get the pics into my computer and then onto the site. (though i've already started snapping pics of my beautiful baby!!)

i will get some up asap i promise!
Lisa's Tiki

Post by Lisa's Tiki »

Donna,

I am glad you are careful about the paint fumes, I just wanted to warn you in case you didn't know.

As for eating:
Try scrambled eggs, birds seem to love these, even some picky eaters. If he does like eggs, then do as I said and finely chop up veggies and cook them with the egg. As he eats the egg he will also eat the veggies.

Just be grateful that he does like pellets. My cockatiel was a seed junkie and would turn his little beak up to anything and everything else! It took me FOREVER to convert that little guy, but eventually he did see the light and what he was missing out on. :lol:

Also it's not great for them to eat alot of, but the occasional bite of unbuttered/unsalted popcorn is a favorite treat in our house and Tiki will do practically anything I ask if I offer him a banana chip!
birdman5000

Post by birdman5000 »

[quote="donna/wisconsin"]Lisa - thanks so much for your help.

i have been trying to give my bird other foods but he seems to prefer the pellets. he did eat some carrot and a little corn, but has passed up rice, tangerine, peas and sweet potato. i will start reducing the pellets and increasing the fresh food though.

thank you![/quote]

u dont have to reduce the pellets he should have access to a supply all day but try puting the vegies/fruite in his food dish on top of the pellets i have a couple of babies that like veggies but wont eat anything unless it is in the same food dish that they always eat out of.

but dont leave it in there for to long or the bacteria will grow and birds are not good at fighting off bacteria or fungal infections :wink:

hope u enjoy your life with your new bird