Need Urgent help for my Saika

Moderator: Mods

saika

Need Urgent help for my Saika

Post by saika »

Hi I bought yellow Ringneck sterday.It's a cutie.And its little shy.It was so afraid wen i went near the cage.And it was hungry I gave him some nice apple slices & water 2 drink..It wanted 2 get out of his travel cage..So I let it for the night..Morning,when i came to keep food in morning.it fluffed then it became normal nd took the food from my hand..I havent kept it in a cage still because tat room is large nd seperated.Pls help me hw can i train it 2 come 2 my hand...I wud love 2
clawnz

Re: Need Urgent help for my Saika

Post by clawnz »

Do some research of how to apply Positive Reinforcement Training. This will help you form a strong bond.
Do not do anything that might be negative. And learn to read the birds body language and respect it.
Let the bird set the pace as you move forward.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Let me caution you against never caging the bird. The fact is that birds living as pets need to have the skill of living in a cage. One day it may be necessary for the bird to be caged (really, it happens) so let him learn how starting now. You can let him out frequently, but make sure he spends part of the day locked up in a LARGE cage.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

To teach the bird to come to you give it a piece of food but keep the food out of reach just a little so he has to take a step or two to reach it.
He'll learn quickly that coming to you is awesome
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

MissK wrote:Let me caution you against never caging the bird. The fact is that birds living as pets need to have the skill of living in a cage. One day it may be necessary for the bird to be caged (really, it happens) so let him learn how starting now. You can let him out frequently, but make sure he spends part of the day locked up in a LARGE cage.

MissK is right in more ways than one.
All our Fids should see a cage as a safe zone. And be happy to hang out in one. And that is why I feel one should never hassle a bird when it is in it's cage.
Even Dexter who is treated different to most, will sleep in a cage now and then. But this is of his own choosing, not because I put him there.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I can attest to this.. my first bird was a learning experience.. he had too much freedom and now acts like going to the cage is a punishment.. he still spends all day while i'm at work in that cage, but he doesn't always go in willingly
saika

Post by saika »

Donovan wrote:I can attest to this.. my first bird was a learning experience.. he had too much freedom and now acts like going to the cage is a punishment.. he still spends all day while i'm at work in that cage, but he doesn't always go in willingly
Yes same here now I have put him in a cage..He doesnt go easily into it.But after gng in he runs around the cage making noise 2 let him out..Then when i want him 2 come out..he never comes out...Can u tell me hw can i make him 2 come out willingly..Even wen i keep his favourite food he doesnt come out...He wants always to be out..
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

As I said my guys live cage free. But here is Dexter walking into a cage to look around at the pet shop just the other day
None of these are staged they are in the cage because they choose to be there.

Or a few more photos

Dexter checking out a visitors cage out

Henry in with the visitor

Zinny in with another visitor

Anyway you get the idea. A cage does not matter to them.

AND A GENERAL WARNING Do not copy me.