Sounds

Moderator: Mods

Princess Yuz

Sounds

Post by Princess Yuz »

My indian ringneck chirps frantically when he hears another parrot chirping on utube. He begins flying around and tries to look for the bird. Does this mean he is lonely and is trying to find another bird for company.
sanjays mummi

Re: Sounds

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay answers the wild birds outside, but I doubt very much he'd swap his life of luxury for their lives of survival!. Besides, we are our birds "flock", I can see this from the welcome I get when I come home.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Well, the brutal truth is that parrots are flock animals. They are in pairs and these pairs form fluid groups. A lone parrot is a dead parrot in the wild and this is hardwired in.
My boyfriend and I play a game of counting lorikeets as they come in to roost, you need to know your multiples of 2 to play!
I think 2 is a good number of parrots in most situations.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:Well, the brutal truth is that parrots are flock animals. They are in pairs and these pairs form fluid groups. A lone parrot is a dead parrot in the wild and this is hardwired in.
My boyfriend and I play a game of counting lorikeets as they come in to roost, you need to know your multiples of 2 to play!
I think 2 is a good number of parrots in most situations.
Thank you I have been looking and have found another parrot for skyler.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I hope it suits and they get on.
We found adding a second is more work, more noise, more mess and more parrots to "help" you with anything you want to do without them! But we love watching them interacting (when they decide to get along), talking and learning from each other.

I recommend getting a boy if you have a boy already and are going to get same species.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKbqDBxCyFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKbqDBx ... hGlf9iltK9

speaking of youtube videos...
There's a playlist (the second link) of bird videos I play for my bird sometimes. He mimicks many of the sounds he hears on there and it's really cool. Granted he doesn't talk now because of me whistling to him and playing stuff like this on repeat for 11 hours a day while i'm gone.

(at one time I had a three hour video included in the playlist of just like,.. nature sounds, water and distant birds kind of thing) this gave him a chance to take a nap if he needed one.

It's really fun to see him actually bonding with some of the birds on the video.. and trying to attack others...
it's fun watching him watch them... displaying for the ones he really likes.. and even making the sounds with them as though he's singing along to music.

Seeing the affect youtube can have on my bird I can only conclude that it is a -wonderful- tool for the mental well being of your bird.

So the first link is one of the bird's and my favorite videos.. the second link is a full blown playlist of lots of things.. some more interesting than others of course, but there's a pretty solid emphasis on ringnecks in the playlist.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

InTheAir wrote:
I recommend getting a boy if you have a boy already and are going to get same species.
I agree with this 100% .. males get along just fine and -can- bond tightly together.

In my case my two males are iffy. One wants to bond, and the other is more interested in people.

MissK has two males and they seemed to have hit it off. Mine are coming around, but it's really a role of the dice.
You have to gauge the personality of your bird.
I know this now. I think with enough patience, if I did it all over again from scratch, i could easily find two male birds that would bond.

The main thing is that my first bird... loves birds...
the second bird I got was hand raised and wants to be babied all the time and doesn't appreciate the original bird trying to make friends.

So if I had to do it all over again I would either take siblings or two birds that are confirmed bird lovers themselves.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Two males is good because it equals zero eggs!
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Thanks everyone I am going to do a DNA test first because I don't know if skyler is a boy or girl
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Princess Yuz wrote:Thanks everyone I am going to do a DNA test first because I don't know if skyler is a boy or girl
That's a wise idea. 2 females can be problematic over breeding season, as far as I know. Even one female can be problematic over breeding season, it seems.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:
Princess Yuz wrote:Thanks everyone I am going to do a DNA test first because I don't know if skyler is a boy or girl
That's a wise idea. 2 females can be problematic over breeding season, as far as I know. Even one female can be problematic over breeding season, it seems.
Hi I know this has nothing to do with this but can you please explain the bluffing session in more detail. Does it only happen in females.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

:lol: perfect question to set me on a rant :lol:
I am very skeptical about bluffing, to the best of my knowledge it is part of the weaning stage...
It seems very common that people handle their birds insensitively and then say it is bluffing no matter how old the bird is. That is not bluffing, that is objecting to things it dislikes/isn't comfortable with. I hate to see bad handling being justified as "the bird is just bluffing"
Here is a great example of what I mean;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhnyXlNBbes&app=desktop
I can see quite a few reasons why the bird is acting aggressively that all relate to what the person is doing.
I think if you watch the birds body language, use positive reinforcement training, avoid force and coercion and make self-assessments of your handling you can build a great relationship with your bird.
I have worked with horses a lot when I was younger and there is a couple useful phrases that I learnt there "It is never the horses fault" and "There is always a reason".

Neither of mine have bluffed and the younger (female) is 10 months old. She was parent raised, both birds have always been fully flighted and came to us at about 3 months old.

That's an introduction to my 2 cents on the subject :wink:
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

The main section of this website (not the forum) addresses bluffing and it's easily researched.. bluffing is a very brief stage and happens when they're very young.. i wouldn't put much thought into it really.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Oh right thanks that did help a lot. My parrot is also 3 months old what's fe would you recommend for me to start training him as in rolling over,turning around, waving,etc. I a, sorry to keep asking lots of different questions it's just that I used ti breed parrots like macaws, amazons, African greys and cockatoos but I have never had an Indian ringneck. They seem extremely different to all my other parrots
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

First thing I taught my bird was to fly to me when I call his name.

Hold a treat to him and say his name loudly. Gradually increase the distance until he's flying to you. Then make it more challenging by going to another part of the house and have him come to you from where he can't even see.

Google Flight Recall, or search it on this forum
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:First thing I taught my bird was to fly to me when I call his name.

Hold a treat to him and say his name loudly. Gradually increase the distance until he's flying to you. Then make it more challenging by going to another part of the house and have him come to you from where he can't even see.

Google Flight Recall, or search it on this forum
That's what u am worried about skyler won't take any treats from my hand nor will he eat them on his own. I have tried many different treats and he also doesn't like toys. He is 3 months now if I haven't mentioned before
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Then teaching to take treats from you is your primary requirement before anything else.
This forum should have plenty of information on how to coax him.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:Then teaching to take treats from you is your primary requirement before anything else.
This forum should have plenty of information on how to coax him.
Thanks I will try to look up for more information about it.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Is he friendly?
To find his favourite treat, put a variety of treats in a bowl and see what he takes first, second and third. When you have determined what he likes best try different ways of offering it too him from your hand, he may have a preference for how the treat is held. Always let him choose to come to take it.
Some favourites in our house are sunflower seeds, oat groats, fruit (especially passion fruit), spouted seeds and legumes (but not mung beans). One bird loves almonds, the other won't touch them. :lol:
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:Is he friendly?
To find his favourite treat, put a variety of treats in a bowl and see what he takes first, second and third. When you have determined what he likes best try different ways of offering it too him from your hand, he may have a preference for how the treat is held. Always let him choose to come to take it.
Some favourites in our house are sunflower seeds, oat groats, fruit (especially passion fruit), spouted seeds and legumes (but not mung beans). One bird loves almonds, the other won't touch them. :lol:
Yes he is extremely tame he will not bite even if I stroke his stomach or stroke underneath his wings however he will not take treats from a bowl either if I am in the room. He is scared of everything even toys and he is scared of treats too.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm not saying this is so, just a thought that popped into my head after reading that last bit - Is he "scared stiff"? Is he so scared that he is freezing and tolerating whatever you do (which is passive activity) but not taking food or playing (which is active)?
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:I'm not saying this is so, just a thought that popped into my head after reading that last bit - Is he "scared stiff"? Is he so scared that he is freezing and tolerating whatever you do (which is passive activity) but not taking food or playing (which is active)?
He is definitely not taking food or playing but he isn't scared stiff if he doesn't like me doing something to him he won't make a noise but he will slightly nip my finger not hard st all.mbuti wouldnt say he's scared stiff
MissK

Post by MissK »

OK. Keep an eye on him. Stop doing whatever it is that made him nip the last time you did it.
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:OK. Keep an eye on him. Stop doing whatever it is that made him nip the last time you did it.
Yh definitely why what did you think it was
MissK

Post by MissK »

What did I think what was? :?:
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

[quote="MissK"]What did I think what was? :?

When you said " I'm not saying this is so, just a thought that popped into my head after reading that last bit."

What was your thought ???
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I really need to start a thread of essential links for new parronts, so I don't need to trawl the Internet all the time to find my favourite articles on certain subjects.
In regards to touching certain parts of the bird, like belly and under wings http://www.rationalparrot.com/tease.html

Introducing new toys can be a slow process with some birds. Before a toy is added to the cage, ensure the bird is not scared by the toy being outside the cage. If the bird is worried about a particular toy, leave that toy in sight but far enough away that the bird is not reacting to it for a couple days and move it closer slowly as the bird dictates.

Here are a few of my favourite links I posted on someone elses thread.  Top websites are: http://www.behaviorworks.org http://www.goodbirdinc.com http://www.naturalencounters.com http://www.learningparrots.com http://www.iaate.org also karen pryors website is really good. If you like reading check out The Manual of Parrot Behaviour. There are heaps more, but that's all I can think of right now.

I wrote this rant on training techniques a little while ago viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18946 it might be interesting to you

I might be a bit of a freak as I read absolutely everything I can find on parrot keeping to attempt to gain a comprehensive understanding and, hopefully, prevent problems from occuring.
MissK

Post by MissK »

The thought was "Is he scared stiff?"
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

InTheAir~ I was just having the same thought. I'd like a thread that just lists links, such as:

Pam Clark on "Feeding The Companion Parrot" http://www.parrothouse.com/pamelaclark/ ... anion.html
MissK on how to use this forum's search function http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17649

and the like........ and it should be a sticky someplace.
-MissK
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

MissK wrote:The thought was "Is he scared stiff?"
Oh right I'm so stupid