Help

Moderator: Mods

Princess Yuz

Help

Post by Princess Yuz »

I have a fully tame Indian ringneck however he is scared to eat treats from your hand and he is also extremely quiet. We've had him for a week now and it is impossible for me to train him if he doesn't take treats from my hand. He also prefers sitting in his cage all day than flying around the room.
Donovan

Re: Help

Post by Donovan »

just be patient and keep trying...

offer him treats while ignoring him and he'll eventually come take one.. and once he's comfortable with everything else he'll enjoy being out more
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:just be patient and keep trying...

offer him treats while ignoring him and he'll eventually come take one.. and once he's comfortable with everything else he'll enjoy being out more
I've tried that but it's not working. I offer him treats but he doesn't eat them and he does not play with any if his toys either. I have taken him to the vet and they said he is a healthy little boy.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

a week isn't enough time to fully earn his trust and interest in you.. he's just nervous right now...

when i say be patient while holding a treat out for him... i mean you have to be near his cage while holding the treat and ignoring him... and you should do it for literally like 15 minutes... then a few hours later do it again... he will just avoid you but eventually his curiosity is going to take control especially if he thinks he's being sneaky, which is why you shouldn't watch him while you're doing this.

It could be weeks before he takes the food from you.. and you have to know that it's his favorite thing in the world too...
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Donovan wrote:a week isn't enough time to fully earn his trust and interest in you.. he's just nervous right now...

when i say be patient while holding a treat out for him... i mean you have to be near his cage while holding the treat and ignoring him... and you should do it for literally like 15 minutes... then a few hours later do it again... he will just avoid you but eventually his curiosity is going to take control especially if he thinks he's being sneaky, which is why you shouldn't watch him while you're doing this.

It could be weeks before he takes the food from you.. and you have to know that it's his favorite thing in the world too...
Thank you I am going to try this and hopefully it will work but is he just quiet because he is nervous and doesn't he play with his toys because he is nervous aswell? Am hit really sure wat his favourite thing is what is your birds favourite thing
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

each bird is quite different... you'll have to determine it on your own... whatever food item that gets him really excited to receive
(be sure you're not just feeding bird seed btw :) )

also.. do some reading on this forum.. there are plenty of other 'taming' threads that will give more detailed advice
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Hi Princess Yuz , I have exactly same problems. We have been together 7 months. She loves eat with me, she is so gluttony, she loves scratches but when I want her to do something and offer a treat for this she never accept it. She started to accept the treat for step up my hand 3 days ago. 7 months are too long but i have no experience and when i owned her she was 1 year old. She has a lot of bad experience with training because her firs owner. So I think , you will be faster than me.

Sorry for my english =D just be patient it will be okay

She loves spoon food. Her favourite treats walnut and corn these days.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

Thanks everyone. Actually he is showing amazing improvement today and I have found out he loves apples and sunflower seeds. He has started accepting a treat from my hand but only sometimes. It's only a matter of time before he starts taking it all the time. And plus I have had a lot of experience with birds before as my brother was a parrot breeder but this is my first Indian ringneck.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I agree he needs just some time to get comfy.
-MissK