An update and couple of questions.

Moderator: Mods

Roach1989

An update and couple of questions.

Post by Roach1989 »

Hi Guys,

So since I updated last I got a friend from the Parrot Rescue Center for my 7 month old IRN Pebbles. The new guys name is Wendle and he is around two to two and a half. Anywho when I brought him home Pebbles and Wendle seemed very interested in each other gently talking to one another, but as soon as they were out Pebbles tries to attack the little turd. Wendle has never tried to attack and for the 2 weeks I have had him he has been soo persistent in trying to make Pebbles his friend. He tries regurgitating for him constantly. It''s really cute cause whenever Pebbles flys Wendle flys after him. Pebbles won't allow him close so they play a little distance apart. Wendle is fully flighted so he can escape where as Pebbles are growing back. The only time really he tolerates Wendle is when Pebbles is sitting on my hand and Wendle flies over to see what's happening. So in the space of two weeks the only change is that Pebbles sometimes tolerates him close for longer, but that's it.

I am wanting to upgrade their pathetic cages I got them with and I am unsure as whether I wait another month to see if they Pebbles starts to like him and get a huge cage to share, or to get them two separate cages that are larger? I read somewhere once that regardless of if the birds get along they should have a separate cage?

Background on Wendle - Wendle was a semi tame bird when I got him. He was petrified of hands. In the space of two weeks he has started to talk (says hello and his name). If I have a treat he loves he will step up but usually get off strait away. However if I put my arm near him he will happily get on that without a treat and stay and give me kisses or talk. As well as this he has started to land on me sometimes when it suits him. Is this good and expected in the space of two weeks?

Thanks for listening.

ROchelle
AJPeter

Re: An update and couple of questions.

Post by AJPeter »

Make sure if you get a large cage that is has a divider so that you can seperate them, but it might be best to leave things as they are wait developments. ithink Pebbles is jealous of the new guy stealing your affection/
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'm pulling these thoughts from my own life, here.

First thought is that these guys are individuals, as are all of our birds. Thinking about timelines and schedules for them, if they are keeping pace with others, is not productive thinking. Better, I think, is to compare the current behaviour to the prior behaviour. Wendle made some kind of progress? Hey, Good for him! Wonder what the next progress will look like? That's enough.

Second thought is that while there is currently conflict I would not be looking to house them together. I do understand the desire, and the desire not to continually have to buy new cages. Like AJ, I think it's nice to have a dividable cage. However, the divider in such cages will prevent a war, but it won't protect little toesies from biting. It's kind of up to the birds there. I am currently keeping my birds in separate cages, but they seem to like each other. I have considered one day joining the cages by removing the end panels and connecting them, maybe with a wire tube. It might be that you can also purchase matching cages that would accommodate being joined. Not all can, though, so if that would be your intent you should shop carefully.
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

What about a Rotostak MissK, Hamsters use them they sleep in one bin and go along a tube to a another bin.
Roach1989

Post by Roach1989 »

Thanks for everyones replies. MissK I completely aggree and if they don't ever get along I am fine with that. Pebbles will quite happily accept him being out at the same time at a distance so thats a start. Could you take a look at the cage I am thinking of?http://www.gtmall.com.au/double-bird-ca ... vider.html
Now I worry about the feet. What if I used some sea grass matting to cover the divider as well if this becomes an issue? There cages atm get pushed right next to eeach other and it hasn't been tried?
MissK

Post by MissK »

A grass mat is no impediment to a Ringneck's beak. The only question is how badly he wants to get through it as an indicator of how long it takes.

This cage looks exciting and has an exciting price, and even more fantastic if you don't have to fetch it from the store yourself. However, there are a few things I would want to point out.

*The bar spacing looks a little wide.
*Perch placement is going to be a little bit of a challenge because of the large front door(s). If you put perches side to side it will be hard to reach around them for cleaning and whatnot. If you use bolt-ons you are limited in length because you don't want them to poke you in the eye, nor do you want the longer ones to sag under their own weight. If you don't put perches on that side you're wasting half the cage. And, finally, perches on the door sound like they wold work, but really they're just a pain in the butt. I'm not saying joy cannot be found, just that you may have to work for it and compromise.
*The seed skirt. Do these work for anyone?

Other than that, the size works for me in an entry level way, if used with divider. Can't find anything to complain about with the grate or pans. Wire thickness seems sturdy.  Plenty of headroom for hanging toys.
-MissK
Roach1989

Post by Roach1989 »

Hahhah always something I haven't thought about. Is there an ideal bar spacing width? Most from this site go down to 2cm at the lowest. The other option is one of these each.http://www.gtmall.com.au/grande-parrot- ... small.html see what you think. True otherwise my friend suggesting like a plastic sort of screening. I don't think he hates him that much but I will be sure to watch carefully. Yeh I am not very good with putting perches in as it is so the easier the better. I just though cause it's huge and cheap it would be great. The cage I just linked my mate got for her 2 lorikeets and is massive.
MissK

Post by MissK »

For Ringnecks I would be wary at bar spacing over 1/2 inch.

For this other cage, since your friend has it, I would say go check it out in person, in action. See if you love it. Change the papers, handle the feed and water, note where the poop goes, bring the bird in and out, see how the toys go with regard to the moving roof. And speaking of the roof, are you tall enough to manipulate it, and do you want to give up that space for hanging toys?
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Gereat cage for Wendle but becareful when Wendle sit on the top openning cage that his poop does not go into the dishes.
I have to be careful with Bille otherwise she will poop straight into a dish, bad design but something placed on the cage millett for instance makes sit to one side and her poop misses the dish. Those seed catchers are great at catching poop as well, l saw and advert for seed catchers you can put on the door but of course bird poops in them too
Roach1989

Post by Roach1989 »

Oh I wouldn't actually have them on the top of the cage I would just leave the front door open. Can someone explain what the big deal about bar spacing is? I measured the cages they are in now and they are 3/4" and I have no problems!
MissK

Post by MissK »

The bar spacing concern, assuming it's not so big the bird can just leave, as might occur if you put a Canary in a 1" bar spaced cage, is that the bird might try to stick it's head through the bars and get stuck. Then the bird is in danger of breaking it's neck as it flails about trying to get free.

From watching my birds, I can see they really want to access each other, and they are willing to try to cram themselves through the bars in a way the original bird never tried to do when he was the only Ringneck in the room. For this reason I think the hazard in creases with the motivation to leave the cage.

Incidentally, I didn't look at your dome top cage for bars converging at less than a 90 degree angle, but that sort of arrangement presents a trapping hazard for toes as the bard get very close together in a V shape.
-MissK