Housing

Moderator: Mods

christy

Housing

Post by christy »

Does anyone here have 2 ringnecks that share the same cage that are still tame ?
The reason I am asking is that I bought a large cage for the 2 babies to share when I get them. I have a bird room so the only time they will be caged is at night or if I have to go somewhere. I am a stay at home mom so my fids have my attention 24/7. I plan on spending quality one on one time with each one everyday.
Just wanting to hear if anyone has been able to keep them tame towards you when you hous 2 together.
Christy
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ok so my humble opinion is never house two of these birds together. Now I know Lokie and Kosmo are housed together and get along just fine but they are an expection to the rule. Normally these are very terriatorial birds and have been known to kill others. If you do intend on housing them together keep an eye out for fights and make sure to have TWO food dishes and water bowls...that way food souce is not an issue.

Keep a close watch and if ever there are 'toe fights' (meaning they are picking at each other toes) please seperate them. They can be sweet or very nasty...

Dani and Prinny
darkcloudchild

Post by darkcloudchild »

Loki and Kozmo are both in the same cage, but they have been together since the day Loki hatched (3 days after Kozmo hatched). That was just over 3 years ago. We didn't know what sexes we had when we got them, but we ended up with one female and one male. They are both tame, but I work with them both quite a bit seperately. Kozmo has bonded to my husband (but will do anything with me if I make her), and Loki is sooo only my bird. He freaks and runs from everyone but me.

Kozmo does chase Loki around quite a bit when she's moody. She'll snap at him when they're both on my shoulder if she thinks he's getting more attention than she is. They are in quite a large cage so Loki has an easy time getting away from her most of the time. There are occassions where you'll hear him squaking though because she grabbed onto one of his tail feathers and won't let go. So, we have a hard time keeping long tail feathers on him because of this.

Also, Kozmo has become a plucker. I am very sad this has happened, and have yet to figure out why. From what I can tell (which is pretty tough) she gets plenty of good food, takes a bath daily, gets plenty of attention, has toys that she LOVES to destroy. For this one reason I wish I had housed them seperately so it was easier to track and make sure she is actually getting plenty of everything that she needs.
Rena
christy

Post by christy »

Thanks Rena.
Pashi & Peyton (peekaboo) were pulled from different clutches the same day and have shared the same tub. I believe there is only a few days in their ages as well. I am planning on having them DNA tested. Today Pashi is 35 days old. The lady I am bought them from lives in another state. Im having problems right now getting a hold of her which is driving me insane. LOL As soon as I get some updated pics I will post them.
Christy
christy

Post by christy »

Does anyones IRN's sleep in a Happy Hut ?
Christy
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

Umm.. what is a Happy Hut?
christy

Post by christy »

Heres a pic of a happy hut. My quaker and my green cheek conure sleep in them.
Christy
berrynice
Member on Probation

Post by berrynice »

haven't got a happy hut, but Azzt and Bhanu are in the same cage, but I wouldn't put my sons IRN in there due to personality conflicts. I was wondering about the happy hut myself
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

I would say IRNs arent really partial to happy huts, but each bird is different so there is always an exception.

I would say if they are raised together from babies then they should be fine in the same cage. even if they werent if you look at their personalities you will see if they are ok to be housed in the same cage or not.

I have 3 ringnecks in one cage. now Kiva and Yuki are just fine in the same cage. But unfortunalty Kiva and Growls dont get along well at all. Now I still keep them in the same cage, Kiva wont hurt growls but growls is under a lot of stress. So I need to get growls a cage of his own.

As for your original point, yes they will all stay tame and happy no matter how many you have. if you spend enough time with them all.
bonjoram

Post by bonjoram »

The Happy Hut looks cozy however I think even my tamer IRNs would probably tear the Happy Hut to shreds and will sleep well that night having done so :D

One of my African Greys used to love sleeping alongside a furry cloth. I think it was marketed as Birdy Buddy. One day, in one rampaging frenzy, my Grey chew the Birdy Buddy apart without even batting an eye. Oh well...

IRNs and hookbills in general can be very destructive.

Maybe it will work for your IRNs however.