Doesn't like to be away from cage

Moderator: Mods

Blue Pako

Doesn't like to be away from cage

Post by Blue Pako »

My IRN has been with me for about 5 weeks, and he is 5 months old. I have been doing training with him on a perch, but it has to be close to his cage to pay attention. He will touch a chopstick, kiss my nose, whenever I ask him. He also will step up most of the time. Of course this is all with treat incentive. The one thing he doesn't seem to be improving on, is willingness to leave the top of his cage. He will hop on my hand inside the cage - I think he acclimated to this because I stuck my finger in as a perch whenever he seemed to be hanging in a position he couldn't get out of.

He will ride around on my shoulder happily, and will perch on anything high. I get that they are arboreal birds and like to be up high, but it takes so much enticing to get him to walk 2 feet down a ladder to get a treat. If he somehow ends up on the floor (slips off ladder, or I hand him down) he will never explore. He runs straight for his cage ladder in a panic until he is back on top. Has anyone else experienced this with their IRN?

I am home most of the day, and spend a lot of time with him. Is it possible the top of his cage is too fun? I have natural branches that bounce, chew/paper toys, extra food/water, bath dish.
MissK

Re: Doesn't like to be away from cage

Post by MissK »

Hey, the reason the bird won't leave his areas and acts scared if he does is........ are you ready for this?.......... are you sure?.........

He *IS* scared!

Yep. That's it, nothing fancy. Just not comfortable in those areas yet. Let those wings grow in. Offer him alternate perches made of familiar materials. Use treats, really good ones. Don't force him.
-MissK