Can IRN see colour

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Can IRN see colour

Post by AJPeter »

My Alex hen can see colour from two penclils she wanted to chew one yellow, one green she always chooses the green, the other day she was sitting on her door watching the TV when a black and white film came on and she immediately lost interest. She likes action films, l have noticed that green and red veg/ fruit get her attention most.
Donovan

Re: Can IRN see colour

Post by Donovan »

your IRN can see more colors than you can.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I read an article in "Parrots" magazine which said all parrots see colours as psychedelic, and differently to us, i.e they see red as purple.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I just read this:
A new study, published this month in the journal Behavioral Ecology, finds that birds not only can see more colors than they have in their plumage, because of additional color cones in their retina that are sensitive to ultraviolet range, but they also see colors that are invisible to humans.
http://www.futurity.org/birds-see-color ... to-humans/

And then this:
Birds also have brightly colored oil droplets within the eye that are involved with interpretation of color vision. It is thought that the different colored oil droplets enhance contrast by acting as in-the-eye light filters. For example, the yellow oil droplets would remove much of the blue color from the background, which would increase the contrast between an object and the blue sky. The red oil droplet would remove much of the green from the background, which would greatly improve the contrast between an object and trees. The enhanced contrast would considerably increase visual acuity.
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-an ... olors.aspx

Fascinating. You know, one thing I have learned from this site is that there is always something new that can be learned. I had never considered the eyesight of my fids nor the spectrum of colors which they can see.

Thank you, AJ, for bringing up an interesting point :)
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, I object! I WANT MORE COLOURS!

Taking this oil drop filter concept a step farther, since it reduces the green and blue and provides more contrast between them and the other colours (that's what you said, right?) would that mean that they see green and blue (overall) less well or less dramatically than other colours? Taking it a step further, would that indicate my bird would appreciate objects in shades of green (like this page, for instance) less well than a mix of green with other colours, and likewise for shades of blue?
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

When i'm on this page my bird always comes to the screen and starts pecking on it and displaying, but I think its because he knows there are sometimes birds to be seen.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks guys, dolls and fids for your support, links were good but this now leaves me another question do some colours cause alarm in our birds, maybe the colour of our clothes and the fids start screaming? MissK you hold a good point there.
The blueboy has nothing on me, l wear blue shirt blue jeans should l dye my hair blue?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Or paint our faces with woad?, Sanjay doesn't give a flying fatsia what colour his toys and food are, as long as they keep coming!
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

AJ, on this forum there is a theory that red fingernail polish can illicit a fear response in some birds... so yeah.. maybe so..

all this brings to mind a question of my own. Do people see the world in slightly different shades depending on their eye color? Like, if you put on yellow or blue sunglasses you can still identify colors properly but things suddenly look different if you take the glasses off. So I wonder if blue eyes make the world look a little different than brown eyes.
MissK

Post by MissK »

My two cents --

I'm certainly not going to fight anybody on certain birds disliking red. It's commonly held that birds don't like red. But. But. But for all our birds here, Mommy and Daddy, who fed us when we were babies, on whom we depended for very life, brought us food that came from red beaks. We love strawberries, red bell peppers, and red hot chili peppers. We should love red. We should be hungry and placated at once by red.

Does a Ringneck see a human-produced red differently than a naturally gown red? Thoughts?
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie wont eat dried red peppers, actually she wont eat fresh peppers any colour, there was a time when she would not eat black or red grapes, she does eat red grapes now. I have blue eyes call me Mickey, l have never seen the world with brown eyes but this l do know if you hold a news paper up to a mirror and see your reflection as well the newspaper is back to front does that mean l am back to front?

I thought you yanks were scared to death about reds under the bed?

Who in their right mind puts on blue sun glasses? Funny enough if take a photo with a yellow filter you get a strange feeling. Blue filters leave me ice cold.

I thought flying fatsias were extinct , well you live and learn on this forum. Here's a thought, does woad give our IRn the willies?

I used to sell gowns MissK and mantles l used to do a lot with maids, do you get a medal for posting 1000?
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

AJPeter wrote: I thought you yanks were scared to death about reds under the bed?
I'm from Arkansas .. no point in name calling :P
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes sorry for the name calling l could not resist the pun, feel free to return the compliment. Technically Yanks come from New York.