change in baby's behaviour

Moderator: Mods

vinayv92

change in baby's behaviour

Post by vinayv92 »

Hi everyone
I have a baby ringneck of about 3 months of age . I hand raised him/her since he/she was a month old. The baby was completely tame and friendly behaving just as you would expect a handraised bird to.
Since the last 10 days , its personality has completely changed . Its started running away from hands and biting . I do understand that they do change once they outgrow the baby phase but this is excessive . Even my other untame birds do not shy away like this. I'm okay with the biting part but I'm quite worried as to why the bird is trying so hard to escape contact. The bird is housed along indoors away from the other birds who live outside so its not like it could've learnt this behaviour from them .
Does anyone have any idea as to why this is happening ? Is this common among handraised birds ?
AJPeter

Re: change in baby's behaviour

Post by AJPeter »

Your baby is beginning to become independant, stop showering so much love.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Give the bird all the space it wants, don't make it do anything it doesn't want to do. When it bites or responds negatively to you then stop doing what your doing. This phase will pass soon enough and the bird will go back to being friendly and loving onits ownI
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

thank you for the responses :)
The bird now named 'Mojo' has improved since then. He/she does come up to me and sit on my foot or shoulder once in a while but still doesn't tolerate hands . I guess this is the usual independent behavior ringnecks are known for . I guess the sudden change from the attention-seeking baby behaviour surprised me . Thanks for the help !