How to Tame my 1 yr Old IRN Male in the best way possible?

Moderator: Mods

korslove

How to Tame my 1 yr Old IRN Male in the best way possible?

Post by korslove »

Hi everyone;
This is my first post here..

So I just got a new IRN (about a week ago) , green male about 1 yr old, not tame and not talking from a friend.
Got him a lovely big house with toys and always feed him dif things which he enjoys..

BUT; he is scared, will not let me handle him... I can get closer compared to 1st day but thats that.. Will "sing" more when left alone, and I do talk to him as much as i can see if he gets words and gets trust in me...

Any suggestions to those experienced IRN owners ? :D
(As all I want is his trust, cuddle him as much as he likes and not get bitten (scary thought)) :lol:
Donovan

Re: How to Tame my 1 yr Old IRN Male in the best way possibl

Post by Donovan »

IRNs are rarely cuddly. Even when they're ok with it while young they can grow out of it.

First thing you need to do is get him to take food from your fingers which could be easy or could take a long time. Either way it's the primary condition for training and taming in my opinion. You may need to accept the idea that he may never allow you to handle him.

Determine his favorite treat in the whole world. Position his cage near your main spot (couch, chair, etc) now go on about your business. Hold that treat to him at a comfortable distance and just ignore him. Do this for 10 or 15 minutes while never really looking at him or encouraging him to come get it. Do this every day. Eventually his curiosity or desire for that treat will drive him to come take it from you. Once he eats it do it again. He'll come to realize that you're not such a bad person. While he's actually eating the treat you can now turn to talk to him, being very relaxed about it all.

Another way is to put food in his bowl one tiny bite at a time. Dropping it thru the bars right into the bowl. If he's pretty excited about the treat he may start grabbing it before u have a chance to drop it.

One little foot note, if you move the cage don't doit just for the sake of trying to get him to take treats. Make that location the permanent location of the cage.I
korslove

Post by korslove »

Hi

Thank you for your reply!
Being an IRN for the 1st time im doing well thn ;)

"First thing you need to do is get him to take food from your fingers" its not going to be easy; more likely hell have my fingers instead :lol:

Favorite treat? Peanuts - Trying to play with that! "Dropping it thru the bars right into the bowl" exactly how ive been doing it.

As for the cage is next to the couch so he gets used to us- check!

Funny thing I found out was recording him while he didnt see me and playing it to him; he seemed very curious and approached me more (while in the cage) Could he be lonely and in need of a friend? he sort of made some noise as if he was calling his friend to sing again (every time the video stopped) :lol:

Thanks
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

My bird is super excited to see other birds on video. Spend some more time with him before getting another bird because all his focus will redirect to it if you don't have an awesome relationship with him yet.

Don't worry about your fingers. If he eventually inches over to you he'll be more interested in that peanut than attacking you. If he thinks he's stealing it from you he will be very satisfied with himself.

As for dropping the pieces into the food bowl, make sure they're very small so he doesnt fill up too quick and lose interest.
TarynAnthony

Post by TarynAnthony »

Hi

I got my first ringneck and she was extremely wild as she was just an aviary bird. The breeder told me I should just wait for a handreared bird but I couldnt and so I just took her anyway. Tiki was extremely scared of me so for the first 2 days I just left her alone and read to her. I read up on the internet how to tame her and it all involved using her favourite treat but she refused to take anything from my hand. I would then use a little face cloth to take her out the cage in my closed room. She eventually associated me with taking her out to have fun. Eventually i would pick her up in the towel and put her on me but I would let her fly off and would never force her to stay. She would always fly off really fast but then she got curious and stayed longer. She then started trusting me and would take apples from me. She now comes to me and is getting much better
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's a *GREAT* story! Thanks for sharing it!
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

If she is willing to take apples from you then she can be trained to fly to you, even from across the house.

Research "flight recall" it's fun and easy
TarynAnthony

Post by TarynAnthony »

Last night Tiki was on my bed so I moved out of the way so that she could fly back to her cage and then she flew on to me. :D I am so excited.
TarynAnthony

Post by TarynAnthony »

Ok thank you I will research it now.
korslove

Post by korslove »

Thank you guys for sharing your stories..

Well I am pleased to say that my boy is less afraid, I have opened the cage and he gets in and out as he knows food is there. He is curious too but very shy yet!

With a long stick I was able to touch him..cuddle him and ask him to step up, he seems to enjoy the tickles :lol: and allows me to get closer or go past him without showing any stress. That means peanuts too and he lovesssss it :P

Little but i believe it is a big progress, and he has now started to say his 1st word thanks to me playing "peekaboo" with him- i would say he is a fast learner ! Brought tears to my eyes the little guy.
I cant wait to be able to hold him and pet him and teach him more words. Hes def part of our family now! :wink:

Also he really enjoys watching videos of other IRN and is not shy to sing - Looking to get a girl for him I believe it would help him more 8)
MissK

Post by MissK »

He's not tame yet. If you get him a girl friend remember he may likely love HER and not YOU.
-MissK
korslove

Post by korslove »

I believe with the same attention and dedication being given to both babies that would be the important factor.
I had in mind that showing him me handling a tame bird could show him that I am there to be a friend and not something else. He seems lonely, as he really enjoys listening to other IRN.
Not all like to be tamed or will talk, what it matters is that i love him and would take really good care of him regardless.

Thanks for sharing your opinion :wink:
korslove

Post by korslove »

Just a little update... I have got him a friend which indeed as I suspected helped both of us.. he saw me handling the other one and playing. .hand feeding him and now toolerates me to hold him without making that screaming noise as before (with gloves though) lol also he seems to be more playful with toys from watching his friend playing. Def has boosted his confidence. Good thing is that when Im at work he has a friend to play with ;)