Chester's check up

Moderator: Mods

chjery1000

Chester's check up

Post by chjery1000 »

Chester had his vet appt. on Monday and everything has checked out okay. She thought he was just in shock from the major change. He's been doing great ever since.

I do have a question. He's been traveling around the outside of his cage more lately and seems to be very interested in getting on my parrotlet cage. I have two parrotlets also. I have their cages next to each other as there really isn't room to have them anywhere else.

Today he took a leap of faith and the parrotlets went for his feet, he went back after them (they were in their cage of course, I would never have them out together) I'm curious if anyone has any ideas to keep him off their cage besides moving the cages?

Eventually, I want him full flighted so even if I did that, he could still fly to their cage. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Donovan

Re: Chester's check up

Post by Donovan »

Distraction
MissK

Re: Chester's check up

Post by MissK »

I keep Budgies as well as my IRN. Rocky is fascinated by the Budgies. They are all fully flighted. You can see photos of our set-up here- the last is the most recent, of course. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=18437

Rocky's play tree is on top the cages. This is where he likes to land after he goes for a fly. I put sheets of clear plastic on top the cages, just sitting up there flat. They completely prevent the birds from touching via the ceiling of the cages. I also arranged to have the plastic overhang the edge of the cage in the front and sides and it goes all the way to the wall in back. This makes it very difficult (but not impossible) for Rocky to climb down from the top of the cage to the sides. Believe it or not, this set-up goes a long way to keeping the birds safely separate.

Sometimes Rocky does fly right onto the side of the Budgies' cage, or they to his, and for this I use Human Supervision. That's right. I stay in the room, or very near by, and listen for the Budgies to tell me the Ringneck is on their wall. A very nice compliment to human supervision is Rocky's willingness to step from the side of the cage to my wrist. Believe me, it was not always the case! So, generally, if he goes to hang on the Budgie cage I go and retrieve him and hold him close enough to talk to them.

My cages are always a work in progress, and I may one day find an even better solution. For now, this is mostly working well for us.
-MissK