Need some Advise Pls

Moderator: Mods

BoreasAnemai

Need some Advise Pls

Post by BoreasAnemai »

Hi IRN.cm family! I'd like to share you some of my questions. I'd appreciate your help very much :)

I have bought a new IRN 3 days ago according to seller it's 8 months old and definitely isn't tame. His name is Mango. (Btw his wings are not clipped)

At first he was afraid of me so much that he was jumping through the walls of his cage every-time I was in the same room with him. (Yes not because I was NeaR to him. Sadly because of just sharing the room with him) But now he's afraid of me less. Although he still jumps to walls...I know it's a normal behaviour. He's trying to get warm to the place but I really wanna start to teach him things...but he bites really bad too...

And He tries to get out of his cage everyday but I don't let him out since I don't want him to think he's the leader and since I don't trust him very much... He may get hurt while trying to run away from me.

So what do you think? Should I keep him in his cage without letting him out until he gets used to me? Wouldn't it be a torture? he's a bird after all. flying is in his nature.

And if I should keep him in cage how much time should pass away until I let him out? It actually depends on him I know but give me examples please.

Or should I let him out and let him walk/fly in the house freely to improve with him? Wouldn't he think he's the leader since he can do whatever he wants to do?

I should keep the balance somehow. Please let me out by sharing your experiences, thanks!

P.S. Sorry for my English I'm not a native speaker.
MissK

Re: Need some Advise Pls

Post by MissK »

Hi Boreas,

First, I would like to thank you for learning my language. I have not learned yours, and without your efforts we would not be able to talk. I'm glad we can talk. :P

It may be hard to let your bird out of the cage while he is afraid to be in the same room with you, but I think you can try. I read your post to Zabair, so I am sure you already made your room safe for the bird without hiding places and dangers.

The most important things when you let the bird out in a safe place are (1) the bird must not be so scared of being in the house that he goes wild and hurts himself AND (2) the bird must understand his food is inside the cage and be not afraid to go back into the cage to get it.

The best time to start letting the bird out might be just before his normal breakfast. This way you can let him out and then soon put his breakfast in the cage. He should want his food and follow it back into the cage. You must be careful that you do not get too close and scare him while he is out. When you put the food in the cage you must then stand far away from the cage so you will not scare him and prevent him going back home. ***It is important that you are not in a hurry when you let the bird out. It could take a long time for him to go home again, especially if he hates the cage.***

You are worried that the bird will hurt himself while trying to run away from you. If you do not chase him, and you are not too close, then he will not run.

I do think you should let him out of the cage. He should come out every day if you can manage it. It will help him if you provide places for him to perch that are as high as your shoulder or higher. He will feel more safe if he is high up. He will never relax if he does not feel safe.

I do not believe you have to worry about the bird thinking he is the leader. I do not believe he is thinking about who the leader is. I believe that, if he is really thinking about anything, he will be thinking about how to get you to do what he wants. If the way to get what he wants (maybe that you give a piece of good food) is by standing still on his perch when you come near, then he will begin to do that as soon as he understands and is not afraid to do it. Humans are the animals who are worried about who the leader is.

Everything will be easier when the bird learns to take food from your hand. If you are close to the bird and he tries to bite you, please just move your hand out of the way before he touches you. Move slowly and gracefully. Also, you can move your hand so that there is something between you and when he tries to bite he will touch something else instead. You can use a toy, a perch, a bowl, or even the food.

Boreas, I understand that English can be a difficult language, and I use long sentences. If you need me to say something again in a different way please tell me. I am eager to hear of your success!
-MissK
SunniDai

Re: Need some Advise Pls

Post by SunniDai »

Boreas,
Whether you like it or not, your life is now in the control of a little feathered creature :lol:
You may find that your relationship with your fid improves greatly once he is let out of the cage more. Just remember that patience and consistency is the ticket.
Dana
~Dana