strange behavior

Moderator: Mods

hulkie123

strange behavior

Post by hulkie123 »

I have recently got my first 3 ringnecks my grey bird Greyfriars hates everyone but my Dad he either flies off or attacks when someone goes near him or tries to take him away from my dad. the other two have no behaviour problems as such though all three of them gang up on my new pink and grey. is there anyway to change their behaviour before it gets worse? Is this normal?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: strange behavior

Post by ringneck »

Hello hulkie123,

Sounds like you have your hands full! It must be exciting to have all those birds live with you. I know I enjoy having my parrots around me.

From your post, it seems like your grey Indian Ringneck has bonded to your father. This is typical behavior if the bird is matured. Does he have his ring? If so, he is in love with your father. This became apparent to me as you stated he tries to attack anyone who removes him from your father. He finds your father quite attractive and safe.

So how can you change his behavior? The important thing is to have your father start a positive reinforcement program with him. He should start rewarding him for behavior that he wants and ignore behavior that is unwanted. Overtime, the ringneck will come to understand what is acceptable and what is not acceptable within your home.

You have to know that it takes time. These birds are stubborn and it can take quite a while to change any behavior. You can also help to nurture your relationship with your grey ringneck by doing activities he enjoys with you. Does he have a favorite treat? Does he like to run around on the floor? Does he like to sit upon your shoulder? If so, find an activity that he likes, with you, and this will help to show him that you mean to strengthen your bond with him. The key here is patients in finding what will open his eyes so to speak to accept you as a wonderful companion.

I know you had said all your other ringnecks gang up on your other birds, correct? It was hard for me to quite understand what you meant. But if this is true, you should start by keeping them in separate cages close together. Interact with them altogether and reward them altogether. It is important you phase this behavior out over time. Reward them for being close together. I know it sounds like beating a dead horse but the key is to reward them for behavior that is good.

Please do a search on our forms as we have tons of information about this sort of stuff.

Please keep us updated and congratulations on your three new family members!

Best wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
hulkie123

Re: strange behavior

Post by hulkie123 »

what I meant by that other comment about them ganging up on the Pink and Grey's was that if it was one or two of them they sit there calmly with them however if all three of them are there it is like they are trying to out do each other for attention from the other birds and it ends up badly for Ferris (the baby pink and grey) they chase him out of the cage wont let him back in. It is almost as if they are trying to claim his territory for their own and trying to warn the others off if that makes any sense? on another note Chucky, Hulk and Greyfriars (the ringnecks all 5mths and starting to get rings) they also make sport of riling up Chook my adult pink and grey they don't go in his cage but they almost deliberately climbing all over it they are already getting small cuts on their feet where Chook bites them does anyone have any ideas how to stop all four birds from doing this?