1 year old ringneck behavior confusing!

Moderator: Mods

chrisada

1 year old ringneck behavior confusing!

Post by chrisada »

Hello everyone!

I bought an IRN from a breeder and asked him to make a dna test and send me a Male one...
He replied to me that he did and i finally got him...

It's been 9 months since then and my ringneck is 1 year old...

The question is... my irn is doing something weird that i think only female ones do...

He/she bends a little in front of me and rotates/bends her/his head around and make some faint funny sounds ... is it normal for even male ones? or is it some kind of female attraction stance?

Im really confused because i already have a Female irn who is 2 years old and they dont get along even after 9 months i keep them in seperate cages... (there were only a few times they were standing next to and rubbing their peaks to each other)
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: 1 year old ringneck behavior confusing!

Post by ringneck »

Hello chrisada,

Ringnecks can be quite funny at times. I often say that you can tell a ringneck's sex by its behavior; however, this is not always the case! In fact, there are some ringnecks who exhibit behaviors from both sexes so it can be confusing at times.

One of our members here has a ringneck who for sure I thought was a female. He would tilt his head back and sort of cluck. When the DNA test came back I was surprised to learn she was in fact a male. I couldn't believe it! Also, many other ringneck owners on this forum find that there birds will showcase behaviors of the opposite sex.

If your bird was in fact truly DNA sexed, and it came back a male there is a 99.9% chance he is in fact a male. Remember, most ringnecks do not acquire their ring until they are at least 18 months to 3 old.

Should you in fact have a female, you should know that females make remarkable pets too. Though I love my Archimedes to death, Devri holds a special place in my heart as her bond with me is deep and she is an amazing companion.

Anyways, I wish you all the best and please keep me updated. I can't wait to hear the good news when the ring does start to appear. :wink:

Best Wishes, :D

IMRAN-C