Ok my IRN experts....Gracie has gone WILD! HELP!

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

Ok my IRN experts....Gracie has gone WILD! HELP!

Post by pattiB »

She is almost 9 months old now. She has gone from our Sweet but still with an attitude Gracie,,,, to our wild child. Please tell me this is just a hormone thing, a phase that will pass. What do we need to be doing? Should I not allow her to play with her fav toy that she displays for INCREDIBLY? Should we not touch her at all anymore? Should I take away all fatty nuts? I've read so much and I'm not sure what to do.
Example of her today. I open her cage to let her out. She's on top and goes for everything. She's then on her play stand away from her cage. She's given a treat and tosses it. She's given a toy and throws it "overboard". She runs about like she's crazy! She's just pissed at the world right now. She's on pellets and vegis and a little fruit. She gets 11-12 hours of sleep at night. She has EVERYTHING a bird could want. HELP. and Thanks!
pattiB

Re: Ok my IRN experts....Gracie has gone WILD! HELP!

Post by pattiB »

OH and she's screaming a LOT more than usual!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have just gone through an awful time with my hen Billie and she behaved just like Gracie. I tried all sorts of things diets head rubs only limited shoulder time. But l have narrowed it down to temperature, l read that our fids need 75 f and so at Christmas and beyond l pushed up the thermostat, it was so hot in here l felt like melted icecream, and Billie laid eggs as if there was no tomorrow.

So now the heating has been reduced to 68 during the day and none at night. She shivers in her cage and l wear thermals. Something has to work, l wish you well with Gracie, hope to hear how you get on with her.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Patti,
I didn't quite understand your post. Is she behaving aggressively towards you or is she just very energetic?
Sapphire loves throwing her toys around and then flying down to get them so she can do it again! Nila prefers a person to fetch his toys and then drops them again so we can fetch them for him.
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

No not her normal "playing" with her toys. She literally grabs them very angrily and throws them. She seems to dart and move very angrily at everything. She's much calmer today but she definitely has something going on with her attitude. She just seems annoyed and bitchy and spastic. Hope that makes more sense. She's had a better day today though. At the age of 9 months could she be really having some hormones kick in?
I also want to know if we should NOT let her have her favorite toy. She LOVES it and I mean LOVES it! She dances for it and kisses it and tries to feed it. She sees it and nothing can be near it at all. Everything else is thrown "overboard". Does having this toy increase her desire? Is she too young to have a desire? LOL
Also, she has her mirror for a short while each day. She loves it for a while and then screams at it. Maybe the mirror isn't helping her attitude?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I do notice that at this time of year Rocky is sometimes more possessive of his things. He doesn't do the rest of all that you described, though he certainly does get in a grumpy mood sometimes when he will take the thing I offer and toss it, whatever it is. I feel at those times he's in that mood where nothing anybody does will be the right thing. I have that mood sometimes, too.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

if she takes a toy and throws it.. pick it up.. and toss it to a new location.. make her go after it if she wants it on the floor so badly.. (by toss i mean a slight flick of the wrist where you toss it a foot or two away but still in what she is claiming to be her personal bubble)

If she chases the object, picks it up, and throws it back down.. just keep doing it... eventually she'll get tired of it and take a nap.... She needs to burn some mental energy.