Please help introducing my ringnecks!

Moderator: Mods

mango_masher

Please help introducing my ringnecks!

Post by mango_masher »

Hi, I have had a green female indian ringneck for about 3 years and she has always been just outside the back door or inside in a medium sized cage. When my grandmother decided to get rid of her birds she gave me here small aviary, about 3x the size of here last cage, but i was still going in there to handle her after school etc. After a while she was looking a bit bored int the big aviary all by herself so I decided to get her a friend. I went down to the petshop and had a look at some males, it was either a blue 4 month old or a creamino 1 1/4 year old, but the creamino was blind in one eye. Being the sucker i am i got the half blind one cause it was cuter. I had him inside for about a week so he could get used to me, then i put the cage next to the aviary because i know she is terratorial for about 2 days, then i tried to introduce them but she kept attacking him, after three days i thought that was enough and put her in the other cage about two metres from his where she can't see him. She has been there for 3 days and i will put her back in the aviary with him tommorow after school.

Is there anything else i can do to help them get along, or any tips to maybe get them to breed.

PLEASE HELP SOON
AJPeter

Re: Please help introducing my ringnecks!

Post by AJPeter »

I am afraid l cannot help but hopefully someone will be along soon. Try searching the forum to see if you can find some help.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

maybe putting them near each other for a couple of weeks (but separate so she can't hurt him) would be a good idea... let them get used to each other. she obviously needs more time.
Salag

Post by Salag »

We have been having almost IDENTICALLY the same issue (more details here: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=18743)!

We let them out together too early and our female did try to attack the young male but we kept them separate for over a week, slowly introducing them to each other. We let them out their cages one at a time onto the play gym and into the big outdoor cage. They could see and hear each other but couldn't touch each other for almost two weeks.

We've now let them into the same outdoor cage (under supervision still) and onto a (new and larger) joint play area (again, supervised). This has worked and there are less incidents.

A few tips and suggestions that we've picked up from bad habits:
  • Give them the same (or as similar as possible) toy, food, attention. One cannot be seen as getting something that the other isn't
  • Completely clean, and if possible, change around the aviary and indoor cages to make them seem new to your female. That will help remove the suggestion that they are hers. We got a new indoor playgym for them and I think that helped a lot.
  • Keep talking to them both and treating them the same. the female will act up, it's her territory and she will try claim her place.
  • If you put them together make sure and stick around to help out if there is a scuffle, but don't punish the female. It's going to be strange for her and she's only acting up in defense.
  • Above all, BE PATIENT! They will (based on my limited experience) get along better but it takes time and you cannot rush the process just because you want to see them playing together.
Good luck!