Getting a bird really wet

Moderator: Mods

Kimma

Getting a bird really wet

Post by Kimma »

Crash had his first shower in the actual shower today. I held him on a perch so he could move out of the water if he wanted, and he scooted into it instead. He was all "scritches please" and making happy sounds, and holding his wings out.

But, he doesn't get wet. The water just beads and rolls off. I've seen parrots that are soaking though. How can you get them that wet? And do I need to? Is getting water on his surface enough to keep him in good shape?
Kiki22

Re: Getting a bird really wet

Post by Kiki22 »

If he is in long enough he will get wet, and especially if it is warm water. Our Ringnecks love going in a really warm shower and do so often that they do seem to have lost some of the oil from their feathers and look "soaked" quicker than they used to. Lucky they will forever be spoilt indoors birds so I don't think it's a problem :)
AlphaWolf

Re: Getting a bird really wet

Post by AlphaWolf »

When I give aero a mist, I stop when I see beads of water accumulating. But I noticed when they he does take a shower he will soak himself up. Maybe its just preferences, as we do when having a bath or a shower :D . But as long as you see beads of water then it is good!
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf