The metal clip / ring things on toys

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

The metal clip / ring things on toys

Post by Donovan »

you know.. these
that seem to be on every bird toy you buy

My bird has discovered the joy of unscrewing them and removing his toys from their places.
So I linked two of them together for him to sit around and play with. He'll eventually unscrew one.. take it apart, then drop them both and whine at me to put them back together.

Thought it was neat, figured I'd share.
ellieelectrons

Re: The metal clip / ring things on toys

Post by ellieelectrons »

At the risk of instilling fear in you, our avian vet had a quite big bird brought into the surgery one day that had its head caught in one of those after he had learnt to unscrew them. The gap in the clip was so small, I have NO idea how he managed to get himself caught in there. I use them every day in my cage too but thankfully my guys don't know how to unscrew them yet.

Ellie.
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I don't want to scare you either, but I had my Quaker poke one of these through the fleshy part under his beak and in his mouth. We had to run to the vet in the middle of the night because Sam was bleeding and could have sustained some serious damage :cry: . I really only use the big ones now, and I tighten them up so much I can hardly get them back off. The little ones scare me, and I make it my mission to warm people of quick link dangers.
-Joey's Mom
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I remove them, aren't they called carbenierres or something? anyway, I just use push in D rings, big ones.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

well.. he has chosen a favorite... it's thicker and requires more turning to unscrew it... it's quite blunt and larger than the average clip so maybe that's a good thing... either way... risks aside.. it's been a great toy for him lately. I've taken his favorite clip and been adding small objects to it and he spends a while undoing it.

meh, it is what it is.. I enjoyed seeing him discover it all.