Hates it when i touch its.... :/

Moderator: Mods

xxsalxx786

Hates it when i touch its.... :/

Post by xxsalxx786 »

Well the previous owner of my IRN clipped his wings and when i try to pet/touch its wings, it makes growling(like a dog) noises and started biting me. I don't understand why it wont let me pet it. I understand birds dont like being clipped because it's taking away their ability to fly but when it grew back, it still attacks me when i touch it. :?:
let me know what you guys thing, all comments are appreciated :)
Donovan

Re: Hates it when i touch its.... :/

Post by Donovan »

well.. many people on this forum are quite experienced with indian ringnecks and still cannot touch their bird.

it's a personal choice... some people are touchy-feely types... others insist on keeping their personal bubble ... birds are the same way.

also.. i think they don't wait for patterns to decide something is bad... if something happens they don't like they may avoid that situation forever... vs letting it happen a few times before learning.

so unless you spend -lots- of time working with your bird to eventually be touched.. you can probably forget it.. otherwise move on and find something else to teach it besides how to be petted. :)
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

My bird loves being petted and cuddled, but if you touch her tail at all she'll growl and pin her eyes at you threateningly.

Is it only the wing area that it won't let you touch, or all over?
xxsalxx786

Post by xxsalxx786 »

Yes. It hisses at me when I try to pet its wing or even under its wing :(
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm with Donovan on this one! My birds don't like being petted either.

I consider it a good thing, it means I won't inadvertently give it signals that I want to be it's lover!

If you really like training, you can train it to accept you handling it's wings. I'm against the idea of petting wings for the above reasons, but I have trained my birds to allow me to touch and lift their wings by using reward based training. I recommend www.goodbirdinc.com for learning about how to teach this. She had made a dvd all about how to train a bird for medical examinations, which would be good for you.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

electronegative wrote:My bird loves being petted and cuddled, but if you touch her tail at all she'll growl and pin her eyes at you threateningly.

Is it only the wing area that it won't let you touch, or all over?
I can't touch my bird except for -one- finger only on the tip of the beak and even then it's like pushing a button. And I can touch his tail and he accepts that ... being petted for him would be very insulting
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Joey only really likes to be petted during snuggle time. If it is not snuggle time, petting is not permitted. Joey will growl at you if you do not obey the rules. I don't push it, it is up to her whether she wants to be petted or not. Some birds just don't like it.
-Joey's Mom