What do I do?

Moderator: Mods

Achilles&Percy

What do I do?

Post by Achilles&Percy »

It's been over a week now, Achilles is still going after Percy. They play together for a while then all the sudden Achilles goes after Percy. If Precy gets near Achille's cage he freaks! I kinda understand that, but I want them to share the cage. They'd are in sperate cages now but Percy is in the dining room and I feel bad for him as we are always in the family room. Achilles is in the family room and they both have free rein of the house. I tried bringing Percy's cage to the family room but he gets really agitated and seems uncomfortable. What's next?
Mike
ellieelectrons

Re: What do I do?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think Claire should be able to help you with this? She is going through something similar with her two at the present.

Ellie.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I'll take all the help I can get! Thanks, Mike
Mike
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Sorry, I'm not sure.

Can you explain this sentance:
If Precy gets near Achille's cage he freaks! I kinda understand that, but I want them to share the cage. [/colour]

I don't understand who "Freaks" or what "Freaks" means in this context.

Also, abit more detail about the birds may help. Ages, tameness etc and which one is new.

Mine still don't get on after a month, but we have had some slight improvements. My new bird who's about 4 months old is the aggressor in every interaction.

If yours play together already they are miles ahead of mine!
I just supervise them and let them have
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Achilles is the one who "freaks" in as much I mean that he gets real angry and bites at Percy. They are both very tame and like attention and being carried about the house. They are both almost 9 months old. They were hatched within 3 days of each other. Percy is the new guy. Achilles has been here since August and has settled in nicely. I understand why Achilles gets mad when Percy goes near Achilles cage, as I think it is a "that's mine and not yours" mentality. These two are the coolest and I really love them both. I just want them to get along, and ultimately share a cage. They each have a cage now and have an all day open door. (Except when we are away and at night)
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

A single cage that is new to both of them might help... if there is a territorial issue it would be removed by having a new cage altogether.

Now how to transition them is another matter. It will take baby steps for sure.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

What about rearranging the entire cage set up and putting new toys in and moving the cage to a different place? So it would look like another cage. And let Percy be the first one to go in.

Ash
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Wow, I glad you clarified "freaks" because I was thinking you meant he gets really scared.

I don't really know what to do, besides letting them hang out in neutral territory together with multiple dfferent places to perch and play. I would not take Percy near the other birds cage at all.

I think the problem I'm having with my 2 is quite different.
My birds aren't territorial about their cages, Sapphire doesn't seem to mind Nila hanging out in her cage when she is not in it, even if she is sitting on top of it. She just doesn't want him near her (or any other bird near her) and she chases him off and steals his toys! She's more like a nightmare toddler at a playgroup. :lol:

I wouldn't be inclined to put them in a cage together unless they get on. There's no way to get away from each other in a cage, which can make things worse.

Regards,
Claire
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I agree. I'm not putting them together in a cage until I'm sure there won't be any fighting. My greatest fear is for one of them to get hurt. I think when it's time, I'll try the the cage rearranging thing and let Percy go in first as suggested.
Mike