sleep laying down ?

Moderator: Mods

new too irns :)

sleep laying down ?

Post by new too irns :) »

sometimes my irn will just lay down and go too sleep.. is this normal ? sometimes he/she sleeps on a perch but not all the time. hes/shes 12 weeks old roughly any1 else had behaviour like this ?
AJPeter

Re: sleep laying down ?

Post by AJPeter »

They should sleep on one leg with the other leg curled up, but l do not know enough to be able to help you.
AJPeter
Tyeman

Post by Tyeman »

i dont think thats a good thing maybe he has saw legs.....I Know some birds like to play on their back but im not sure about sleeping
Craig_&_Cat

Post by Craig_&_Cat »

I have had a few birds over the years that have laid down to go to sleep.

Some laying across the perch and some finding a spot in a hammock, on top of the cage and a couple that even snuggle in underneath the cover on their cage.
All different breeds.

With it only being 12weeks it will still be in "baby mode" especially if it was late to be weened or removed from the 'box'.

I'll take a pic of our love bird, he loves to go to sleep laying down in his hammock like thing!

Craig.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's not really "normal" behavior for a ringneck. They usually seek the highest perch for sleeping. Has your bird been seen by an avian vet? Maybe it would be worth a check up just to make sure everything is ok. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I have 5 IRN's ranging from about 3 months to 8-9 years old and they always, and I really mean always, climb to the highest available spot to sleep at night so the behaviour you mentioned is definitely not normal. My birds will take short naps on their perches during the day with one foot curled up close to their bodies, but they inevitably wake up after a few minutes rest.

A pair of Sun Conures I had a few years ago preferred to sleep in their nest-box together with all the chicks they were rearing at that point. Having said that: Sun Conures is a totally different species to IRN's.

My point is simply that some species prefer the highest possible perch to sleep on while others prefer a hollow or something similar.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila will lay down on us and nap like a duck if we are laying down on our backs. He tucks his head under his wing and rests on his keel. He only does the duck on people. He's a bit special.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Do you think a people seems warm and cradling like a nest? Maybe he's getting back to his chickhood?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:Do you think a people seems warm and cradling like a nest? Maybe he's getting back to his chickhood?
Either that or he has worked out that it is impossible to scrap him of your chest when he is in that position and he can sleep without being interrupted :wink:
Well, you probably could scrap him off, but neither of us have the heart to do it, especially as he reacts by tucking his head into his wing more firmly when disturbed. He's as good at training people as I am at training birds!