How old is my bird?

Moderator: Mods

xxsalxx786

How old is my bird?

Post by xxsalxx786 »

Hello, i recently purchased a beautiful indian ringneck :D and the bird owner told me that it was 4 months old, i was very suspicious because the bird is tamed and it already says "pretty bird" and whistles alot and makes kissing sounds. i don't think it is a 4 month but rather a 7 month. im sorry if i post this in the wrong section :oops: and also im wondering if it will grow its length over the next few months/years and by how much. thank you :)
Attachments
rsz_20131123_132347_richtonehdr.jpg
zentoucan

Re: How old is my bird?

Post by zentoucan »

IRN grow to about 16" long on average also I have read that IRN start talking from 1 to 3 years but have also read 6 to 7 months. of course there exceptions to the rules. some birds never talk. but I think your bird is closer to 12 months than seven. But does it really matter?
it's tame and talks, I would focus on improving that.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Are the eyes dilating yet? If no, then less than 6 months. If they are just starting to lighten around the edges of the iris than maybe 7-8 months. If they can completely dilate, than over 9 months. My male said his first word at around 5 months. If they are talked to a lot it is possible. But count yourself extremely lucky that you have a nice tame birdy :D his body length won't change...but when he molts out his juvenile tail feathers and gets his adult ones, they will be much longer...7-9 inches in length.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Skyes_crew wrote:Are the eyes dilating yet? If no, then less than 6 months. If they are just starting to lighten around the edges of the iris than maybe 7-8 months. If they can completely dilate, than over 9 months. My male said his first word at around 5 months. If they are talked to a lot it is possible. But count yourself extremely lucky that you have a nice tame birdy :D his body length won't change...but when he molts out his juvenile tail feathers and gets his adult ones, they will be much longer...7-9 inches in length.

I didn't know this! Great information, thank you :)

I have to say, your bird looks older than my Dudes, and he is 8 months. He has gotten whites around his irises now.
Loo :)
xxsalxx786

Post by xxsalxx786 »

thank you guys :)