The Taming of Aero

Moderator: Mods

AlphaWolf

The Taming of Aero

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello everybody,
So I'am technically plagiarising Claire's thread. This thread will be almost like a diary of progress with my little Aeronaut. So remember that freaked out bird that I got. With patience and determination Aero no eats in front of me, preens, plays, sleeps (closing his eyes :)), mumbles and is much more relaxed toward me. I can give him a treat without him panicking but I'am still working on changing food and water. I misted him yesterday and he LOVED it. He is did the cutest thing ever yesterday, he stuck his young at me after I did the same :lol: . And now he is licking his feet. Oh how I love my aeronaut. Thank you so much for your advice, especially MissK, ellie, Clair and Skye ( not to forget doodlebug).
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Re: The Taming of Aero

Post by InTheAir »

I think it's great that you started a training diary on here! I look forward to hearing about Aeronauts aeronautical adventures into the human world.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We look forward to hearing about Aero's progress. :)

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi everyone,
So today all-in-all was a great day. So I woke up today quite early but had some tremors and absences. So I asked my sister to change the food/water/bedding. Aero was not happy and was on the brink of another total freakout. I told her to step back and though a little. Then I remembered, the only times my sister interacted close to Aeronaut was to help me bring the cage downstairs or to the vet. So he doesn't like her at all, something I can't wait to work with (payback little sister, hope Aero bites you :twisted: ). So I took control, changed his stuff. I noticed something, every morning Aero is really skittish. One thing that really helped in my ***early-bonding*** was the daily misting session. I bring mu little bottle. fill it with lukewarm tap water and spray myself a little. Then I give him a good spray and this is the only time I can come really close to him. He enjoyed it so did I. Then we had a Official APPLE-CRUNCHING COMPETION! I took a massive chunk of apple and gave Aero a mega slice and we both tried to eat it the quickest :D . My brother entered and giggled hearing us all crunching like crazy, ah the joys of parrot hood. Lunchtime finished and I went back to work in my desk. And the Aero started playing. So Aero didn't play for months. I got worried so I used some old toy parts and made a awesome toy for him. My first DIY and his first real toy. H eloped it, and now 5 days later he started chewing on the wood and some bark fell out. Ooh, the straws and newspaper were fun, but not as fun as that long piece of wood :) . Aero really is a clever distractor. He played, chewed the cage bars, rubbed himself, grabbed a quick energy snack and went back to the battle. The only worrying thing that happened today was that Aero bit his nails, i think. It was the daily massage-my-feet ritual when Aero stayed a bit late. Then I heard a crack, his feet look normal but a bit shorter. He trimmed it for free, what a bugger. It was growing long anyway, so yeah.

I feel a little bond is growing. Aero stuck his young at me. Today he finally flaps his wings super-hard. I really have to let him out now. Oh and now Aero is beginning to close his eyes in my precedes. He always kept his eyes open but yesterday I caught him taking a doze, and today a power nap. Also he used to sleep like a bird will normally stand. Now he moves his head 90 degrees. Can't wait for him to do the famous 180. Oh and he preens all the time in my presence. Don't you love it when they tuck their head into their wings and preen :wink: . He also started making some new sounds, a bit like chirps. He only did the indian ringneck scratch.

I really love Aero so much. I'am saving up for a bigger cage with a max of 200$. I recently found My Safe Bird Store, it looks awesome and as i have 50$ I need to go shopping babe. So what are you reviews. Sorry for the looong post.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

AlphaWolf, please post us a link of the cage(s) you are considering. How much space do you have to put the cage in -- how big is the biggest it can be?
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I still didn't look for a cage yet. Maybe max max will be 1 metre x 1 metre but that will be too expensive. Can you suggest any good cages that will do international delivery? I will measure and come back to you?

AlphaWolf
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Well done Alpha! Things are really moving along :)

I think if you have enough time, start target and clicker training? It took awhile but I finally got Dudes comfortable enough to come out of his cage using this method.

Keep up the good work :)
Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi, I have been working on Aero now for sometime. So we went from a full panic when I approach to most of the time only pacing or if I'am slow he will just look at me and stare. And then in the last second he will run a little. Now for the most part, when he is scared or when I approach him he will do the movement Beans does( yellow-bibbed lory). So what shall I do now? Shall I come close to him, read a book and let him relax and keep doing this? For me this reeks of negative-reinforcement.

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Great news. So I re-read InTheAir's posts on taming a fearful bird and the article that she used on Sapphire. And it WORKED! I had to change his water and bedding. Aero was having a little nap and as I approached I talked to him slowly. I told him what I'am doing and he stayed there. He was comfortable, his feathers where not tight and he was looking at me with a curious face, We did the counting, 1,2,3 and I removed the tray. And he didn't move, he looked down and was so calm. I'AM SOOO HAPPY! This is the first time he did it. When I change the water he was the same till the moment my hand touched the cage he did the Lory Dance*. Thank you for all your help guys and gals.

Me my brother and my 7 year old sister was in my room and Aero started mumbling and making cute noises. My sister was like, HE IS TRYING TO TALK!!!( She may be small, but she loves Aero and begs me to tame him quickly :roll: ) and i definitely caught some budgie calls. Can I post recording only here!

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's great! I'm so happy for you! And I admire how patient you and your family are with him. I hope your sister will be feeding him treats soon.
What's his favorite food?
I can't wait to hear his repertoire.
Btw I talked to Sapphires vet, who was speaking at the parrot society today, she doesn't know the tipu tree, but she said that the rule of thumb is: if the wild lorikeets and galahs are eating it and hanging out in it that it is ok for our guys.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello, so Aero has begun vocalising more and more. I'am defiantly now hearing budgie sounds :lol: . I have noticed something very weird. In all morning Aero becomes so restless that he paces back and forth n his cage very rapidly for an hour. But when I mist him he stops. If I change his food/water she he is calm but when his is in *that* mood he is more likely to panic. I'am now able to get very close to him when misting, he does;t spread his wings but I guess it is a confidence issue. So any ideas on the next step and why does he do the ***NITRO LORY DANCE***! :)

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It's really hard for me to say without seeing Aeros body language. I suspect he is just full of energy.
Have you tried letting him out for some play time? Try Ellies method of doing it before bed time, preferably before he has dinner so he goes back to the cage when he is hungry.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Tbh, not yet! I will definitely do so at the closest time. First I need to make the Play gym! Those SS bowls are nice but you have to change the food from the inside. The design of my cage makes it that i have to change the bowl form the outside, which helps in this early processes. I will have a look in the dog section next time I go to the petshop.

AlphaWolf
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, if you are not letting him out just because you don't have the play gym yet, don't let that hold you back. Aero would love to just climb on top of his very own cage.
-MissK
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Slightly scared birds love sitting on the curtain rails! They will most likely ignore a gym in favour of that until they feel more confident.

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

unfortunately i don't have curtain rails, not now anyway :D

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Do you have windows?
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Yes I do have windows. I can easily cover it u though with towels. We are going to buy curtains very soon though.

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Are you in a brand new house? I thought generally a house would have a curtain rail if someone lived in it before you (unless possibly you had blinds?) or it's all glassed in and no curtains?

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

@Ellie-yes we are in a brand new house.

So GREAT NEWS everybody. Things are improving dramatically with me and Aero. So I started following the link that Claire kindly supplied me. I read it a bunch of times and I followed it. So now for the 3rd day on the row stuff are getting better everyday. I'am now able to completely move the tray and food bowl without much of a reaction, albeit a curious one. Due to my cage being quit small it made training harder because I have to get closer than if it was a bigger cage but for now it is ok. He did no a Lory Run when I changed the water. I spend 3 minutes just talking to him, begging his permission and finally the countdown to 3. Even my sister is impressed. I'am beginning to think that maybe I will tame Aero after all!

:D :D :D :) :) :) :) :D

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good job Alpha. Keep up the good work!

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello everyone,
I confess I have done the worst thing ever, i will probably be hated by everyone but I never did notice till now. Due to aeros great fear of humans I have not cleaned his cage since he came. I do clean the bedding everyday but I just noticed that a section was really dirty and had some build up of poo :( :( I was wretched all day! . So I believe the only way I can clean the cage is if Aero is out. Aero still didn't go out of the cage yet, so my question is: How shall I let Aero out without? One problem is that I have to approach the cage, open a lock,(which very load and clumsy to use) and slide open the guillotine doors, close the lock again! Also there is no stand as of yet but I'am beginning to construct a PVC Play gym, I do have a desk, bed, dressing table and a very high wardrobe.

AlphaWolf
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

Why does he need to be out? Would it be possible to just reach in and clean that spot? He might climb to part of the cage farther away though. If you're worried about harsh chemicals with him in the cage try using apple cider vinegar to clean.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Just let him come out, he will find somewhere to hang out. Just make sure you have all afternoon free, because he might not want to go to his cage when you are ready. He will go back when he gets hungry though.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Poor Aero, let him out!!! I'm sure he will like you more and freak less if he gets some time out. I also didn't have a playtree for Kiwi and the room was pretty bare when Kiwi came out for the first time. At first I also thought that since Kiwi is not a tame bird I can't let him out, and how am I going to get him back in. But once he came out by mistake when I bumped on the door and the door came open. I left him to walk around the floor then he climbed ontop of his cage, and an hour later when it was meal and bedtime he went in and I closed the door. Ever since then I let him out everyday and he became more confident in me and stop being as scared. And he started taking treats from my hand when out of the cage and uptill now he won't take from my hand if he is locked up in. For the time being you can place a small branch or strip of bark ontop of the cage and i'm sure he would like to hang out there. I still keep a piece of bark ontop of the cage and both birds love to sit there and chew the bark as well.

Ash
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Today I awoke to the beautiful clucking sounds of Aero. It was so beautiful! :D So today was the day when I changed Aero's water without any bad reaction just curiosity! :) I decided to use a different technique though, instead of changing straight away I touched slowly with one hand an the other on the flap till Aero was not at all scared and the proceeded to change without anything other than a clam reaction! Thank you so much Claire for that epic link, MissK for your advice and Melissa for your awesome approach. Our first milestone is complete. Yay!! :) :D

@LittleButtercup- What a nice story and a great inspiration! I will, but first I have to do two things. i) Find out his favourite treat, what is the best way to find out and what treats shall I try out at first? ii) How do be able to open the cage door without a bad reaction. I will have to open a very hard to open lock, clumsy and make a loud clang. Slide the cage door open and put the lock, all in very close distance to Aero :shock: I think I will find his top 3 treats and every time I open the lock give him a treat.

I'am planning to make my room full of bird safe toys: Bed-straws and foot toys. Top of cage-bathing bowl and veggie bowl.Floor- tissues and paper. I love Aero toooo much, and he is the cutest ringneck I have ever seen :mrgreen: :D :)

AlphaWolf
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

I don't mean to be a bore, keep talking about the same subject. But it is OFFICIAL!!! Aero is finally not scared when i changed his food and water and he stayed there with one foot tucked up staring at me like: "Oh hi there, finally remembered my food"! :mrgreen: This is my first real milestone and I'am sooo happy right now! Had to share!

AlphaWolf
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's great.
There is a good chance he won't really play much the first few times he comes out. He will probably be just checking out the new view. I find they tend to find a safe place and watch what is going on from there.
If you leave his food in his cage and the door open, he will probably climb in when he is hungry.
His favourite foods are apple, sunflower seeds and passion fruit! actually that's just 3 foods that work well on my birds and Ellies birds. He will probably love them.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

So sorry for my sudden disappearances. I would like to find out Aero's treat, any ideas. I heard removing the food at night and giving them a bowl with nuts and seeds..But is this the correct way. Any ideas what to put in the bowl, my current ideas are: apple, almonds, walnuts, and I'am put of ideas.

AlphaWolf
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Hi mate, probably the best advice I can give, is to put his favourite foods in a bowl together, and see what he eats first. They do tend to go for the favourites first! Don't just trust the results from this test once though, do it a few times & see what he consistently goes for. I don't believe taking food away is really necessary, we don't do it with our birds & we have great results..

Apple, sunflower seeds & passionfruit truly seem to hold the most allure to them, but grapes are also a big fav. Just remember, whatever you give them as a treat for training etc, not to give huge portions to them. Sunflower seed size bites are a good guide.. Other than half a passionfruit of course which is an all powerful lure back into the cage for even the m!ost stubborn IRN
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thanks redone, we need you to be online more often! :D Today I decided to make some almond milk, for me lol, and I soaked some almonds. Aero loved it, it was the first time he ate an almond without throwing it on the floor. Yay. On a side note, I could;t drink the almond milk, it was too watery yuk. What did i do wrong, it tastes all watery and then you can taste the sweet almonds. Hmmmm?

AlphaWolf
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

AlphaWolf wrote:I don't mean to be a bore, keep talking about the same subject. But it is OFFICIAL!!! Aero is finally not scared when i changed his food and water and he stayed there with one foot tucked up staring at me like: "Oh hi there, finally remembered my food"! :mrgreen: This is my first real milestone and I'am sooo happy right now! Had to share!
Really proud of you. Good job!

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Thank you ellie. So today I decided to make Aero have even more fun :D I used a wooden piece from a toy I made ages ago and gave it to him like a foot toy. He spent the full day playing with it. I stud the hole with banana chips, pellets and sunflower seeds. I then wrapped it with paper. It melted my heart when I saw him unwrapping it and trying to take little pieces form the holes. He is actually playing with it right now. We also both scoffed a massive bowl of soaked almonds, It was so sweet (even though he was in the cage :) )

AlphaWolf
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi Alpha, how's it going with Aero? I have'nt been here for a while and I see today no update of Aero's taming! I was looking forward to see your progress. Hope to hear from you.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm also wondering how these guys are doing!

Probably too busy having fun and rolling is excitement to check in with us!
-MissK