has anyone tried clicker training?

Moderator: Mods

lilstephii143

has anyone tried clicker training?

Post by lilstephii143 »

im going to bring my IRN back next weekend and I been trying to find good way to work with her.Alot of these on youtube was to use a stick and a clicker and to teach her to slowly know touching the stick is good and eventually use that to let her go on ur hand and etc. any opinons on this? I never done clicker training before
Donovan

Re: has anyone tried clicker training?

Post by Donovan »

I have a clicker and used it for a while but I couldn't wrap my mind around why it was needed. The bird would get a treat for doing something right anyway... to me it eliminated the need for the clicker...

However...

right now i am trying to teach him the difference between the 'pink' ball and the 'green' ball..
When he's trying to figure out which ball to bring me i can see him thinking about it... looking at each one .. stepping towards them and thinking some more... I think if i had conditioned him to the clicker better I could *click* when he's considering the right ball and that would help
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lil: clicker training does require some skill on the part of the handler and a good understanding of the principles. It's not a wonder cure. http://www.clickertraining.com/library? ... kpctnavbar

Donovan: you could try using your vocal bridge instead. Personally, I have a different word for that situation "almost", if I use my bridge (which is what a clicker is) Nila tends to think he has already completed the trick and is ready for the reward. "Almost" (or properly if I think he's trying to short cut a trick) was first accompanied by pointing at the object so he knows my interest is in it. I don't know if it is actually a scientifically valid concept, but it works with Nila. ..... :wink:
MissK

Post by MissK »

InTheAir~

Karen Pryor mentions exactly that concept, kind of the "yes, but keep going" marker. I don't recall if she was using a different marker or if her subject was just particularly in tune. It's in _Don't Shoot The Dog_, and it's just one or two lines.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

InTheAir wrote:
Donovan: you could try using your vocal bridge instead.
yeah.. actually just saying no when he's about to select the wrong ball seems to be working.

so i guess that works
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Donovan,

Your saying "no" is functioning as a "no reward marker", and it does give feedback. It it's working, that is fantastic - another tool in your tool kit.
You might try also using your bridging stimulus (clicker or voice, whatever you like to use) to encourage the bird in the right direction.

Example:
Donovan: "Get the Pink!"
Bird looks at pink.
Donovan: "Yes!" or "Click!"
Or..........
Donovan: "Get the Pink!"
Bird looks at green.
Donovan: "No!"
Bird makes any look or movement towards the pink.
Donovan: "Yes!" or "Click!"

If you have that "yes" or "click" working for you, then you can reward whatever the bird does that will, when shaped, lead to the desired action. Maybe your bird isn't going to go straight to picking up the pink ball. Doesn't mean you have nothing to reward. You can just break it into steps and reward for incremental progress, raising the criteria when you can.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's cool, missk. I must get a copy of that book!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Really, everybody should get that book!
-MissK
lilstephii143

Post by lilstephii143 »

I been reading on the clicker training tho. it doesn't seem as hard as everyone had made it seem. You start with the stick and associate everytime is touched u click because that's what we went and he will associate when touching the clicker he gets rewarded and will learn to go up and get out of the cage and do tricks. And I know timing is everything. Isnt a dog clicker the same thing? I really don't wanna spend 30 bucks for a stick and clicker.. maybe I can do it without the stick... I also read to train them when there not full... how am I supposed to do that when food is always available?
MissK

Post by MissK »

My clicker cost about $2 American. Sticks can be free.
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Clicker training is very effective, I would definately recommend giving it a go Steph. It also helps the bond between you and your bird when you work together you spend time together and thats what is important with taming. To start with I used an ordinary pen for the clicker, and a long thin piece of dowel, but you can use any long thing.

Let us know how you get on :)
Loo :)
lilstephii143

Post by lilstephii143 »

Oh i didnt think of a pen! Thats perfect. Ill be starting next week after the holidays. Thanks for the advice ill keep you guys posted or if i need help lol
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

lilstephii143 wrote:I also read to train them when there not full... how am I supposed to do that when food is always available?
Birds aren't always full just because they have food available, they generally have room for dessert anyway. They tend to eat in the mornings and the evenings, you can use their natural schedule to choose what time training works best for them. Your job is to work out what their favourite treat is and use that.
I would never restrict my birds access to pellets and vegetables so I can train them, I just use things that they don't normally have in their cages for rewards.
lilstephii143

Post by lilstephii143 »

Oh ok because i never wanted to take the food out. Birds need to eat throught out the day so i was wondering. And do u suggest training should only be max 15 mins? I saw this on one site but didnt see a time anywhere else
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I suggest you play it by ear. My older bird doesn't get bored of training, but the young one is over it after a few minutes.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Don't forget that Nila learned to learn. Sapphire has to do the same.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:Don't forget that Nila learned to learn. Sapphire has to do the same.
That's true. I'm not really interested in training her further for now. We require her to step up and fly to us, those are the only things we practise.
She is learning how to live and interact with us. That's enough for a young bird.
Though I do watch her when she's near me and offer her a finger to step on when she's struggling to climb somewhere, or hand her the toy she can't quite reach. I am trying to subtly teach her I can be useful!
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

clicker or vocal training are effective training methods to train your bird. but you have to continue the training to achieve results. I found a routine that works for me. At the end of each day when I put the Delfin to bed. I remove the food & water bowls, dispose any un- eaten food and clean both bowls. In the morning I perform a clicker training session for 15 minutes then give Delfin breakfast which consist of a bowl of pellets, cut up fruit or vegies and a small amount of seeds. along with a bowl of clean water, also a apple, pear or a corn cob on a fruit stick ( metal stick pushed through the fruit or vegie and hung near a perch) in the afternoon I will perform another 15 clicker training session.

I find chopsticks work really well for touch training.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

On a side note, last night's green ball pink ball session had about 90% accuracy. I don't think he really likes the game though but he does it for peanuts.

Next I plan to teach him to read
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Donovan wrote:On a side note, last night's green ball pink ball session had about 90% accuracy. I don't think he really likes the game though but he does it for peanuts.

Next I plan to teach him to read
Nice. He can be Nilas pen pal!

I was playing cut the rope on my phone the other night and Nila took over. He got to level 3 all by himself.
I downloaded a piano app and he played some improvised jazz. Then he replied to the text from daddy when I wasn't paying attention. Daddy got very confused. I think Nila needs to learn to spell, if you have any tips on that let me know.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Stephi

If you are in the market for a clicker and target stick, I like the look of this one:
http://www.goodbirdinc.com/parrot-store.html
(scroll to half way down the page, it's called Telescoping Target Stick with Clicker)

What I like about it is that the clicker and the target are all in one unit which makes it a bit easier to work with and hold the treats in the other hand.

I personally don't do clicker training but I don't have anything against it.

Ellie.