Please help

Moderator: Mods

ushavik

Please help

Post by ushavik »

Hi all,

I have an IRN named Kiya and she's 4 months old. I hand raised her since she was two weeks. I clipped her wings when she was 3 months old and since then ive noticed that she been very aggressive.

She is constantly biting my fingers each time i approach her. When she is on my shoulder she bites my ears and even my nose and ive even started getting scared to play with her.

She is not used to be in her cage all day long, she loves being on her bird stand which is found in my tv room.

she only let me play with her only when she has not seen me all day long when im back from work or when she is hungry.

I would really like to get some advice on how go through this difficult phase.

Thanks

UshaVik
UshaVik
Chewy78

Re: Please help

Post by Chewy78 »

Hello! I have a 4 month old as well, and he's temperamental right now as well. I stick trained him, so I ask him to step up and step down when I want to move him somewhere. I talk to him lots and can even kiss him, but my hands can't go anywhere near him or he freaks out. I also own a kakariki and have had him since a few weeks old and he is wonderful and kisses me lots, but he doesn't let my hands go anywhere near him. I think it'll just take time and patience and keep reassuring her by talking gently, eventually I'm sure she'll come around.
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

Hello,

Thanks very much for the advice, will start the stick training as from tomorrow,hopes it works with my Kiya and i think patience is the best solution for this.
UshaVik
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. What did you hope to gain by clipping your bird?

It could be coincidence or a phase of maturation, but I think it likely the clipping has a part in your biting problem. As you know, the IRN's main methods of self-defense are flying away and biting. When you clip you remove the possibility of flying away. Your bird knows this method of (literally) flight is gone and thus has no option but to "stand and fight" in an uncertain circumstance. I don't mean that your bird wants to fight you. More, I mean if the bird is not comfortable it may present a strong offense as it's self defense.

I recommend you do not clip anymore and see how that goes. Do not force yourself on the bird while it has no choice but to stand and let you or else bite. When you interact with the bird, invite, don't dominate. Obviously, keep your face away from the bird unless you want to chance a bite there. While you wait for a molt to let the bird's wing feathers grow back in, it might be a good idea to do extensive research on the pros and cons of clipping. People clip for a variety of reasons, and not all of those actually make any sense. Use logic when you evaluate if clipping will give the result you want, or if a different tool might be as effective or better.

Good luck.
-MissK
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

Hi,

You are right,i didnt gain anything instead it has created distance between me and my IRN. We are both scared of each other.
The idea of clipping her wings was due to my previous experience i had with my first IRN, his name was Rio and he flew away and it was very heart breaking.I didnt want to go through the same experience with my new one.

Anyways, thanks for the advice,i'll keep it in mind.
UshaVik
warbuckle

Post by warbuckle »

Hello

I would agree with "not" clipping, I have raised feathered friends for 15 years and have never clipped wings, and, never lost a bird, or had had a death due to flying into a window etc...........be aware of yours and the birds surroundings at all times.

regards
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Ushavik

I was just wondering if your bird can still fly downwards? I no longer clip my birds' wings. However, when I did clip them, I always made sure they had a longish clip so that they could fly downwards and land easily if they fell. They could also fly horizontally for short distances. The clip prevented them from being able to hang out on our high ceiling fans and chew the cables. Also, both wings were clipped to the same extent, this helps them not be off-balance when they try to land. It is important that your bird can land safely if he falls, or else injury can result.

It is most likely expensive, but if you don't want to wait until your bird's wings grow back, you could talk to an avian vet about a procedure known as imping. I think it involves taking other bird's feathers (collected by other owners during their bird's moult) and somehow attaching them to your birds existing feathers. This enables them to fly again.

MissK's advice about not forcing yourself on your bird and getting your bird to come to you for treats is good advice too. If you do a search on the forum for taming ringnecks, you'll find lots of other good advice too.

Ellie.
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

Hi Ellie,

Thanks you, indeed Kiya is able to fly downwards and horizontally from one room to another and land safely.Unfortunately here in Mauritius we dont have avians vet and i have no choice than to wait for her wings to grow back.

Thanks again for the several advice im getting with you all.It really helps to better understand my IRN and be more cautious.
UshaVik
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

ushavik wrote:Thanks you, indeed Kiya is able to fly downwards and horizontally from one room to another and land safely.
Good to hear :)
ushavik wrote:Unfortunately here in Mauritius we dont have avians vet and i have no choice than to wait for her wings to grow back.
Okay - sounds like you live in paradise?
ushavik wrote:Thanks again for the several advice im getting with you all.It really helps to better understand my IRN and be more cautious.
You are more than welcome. I'm a slow learner when it comes to learning ringneck!

Ellie.
zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Hello ushavik
Birds are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. I think your IRN is really cranky with you for clipping her wings without permission.
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

hi all,

picture of my IRN "kiya"
Attachments
041.jpg
041.jpg (37.1 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
UshaVik
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

ellieelectrons wrote:
ushavik wrote:Thanks you, indeed Kiya is able to fly downwards and horizontally from one room to another and land safely.
Good to hear :)
ushavik wrote:Unfortunately here in Mauritius we dont have avians vet and i have no choice than to wait for her wings to grow back.
Okay - sounds like you live in paradise?

Ya the paradise of indian ocean
ushavik wrote:Thanks again for the several advice im getting with you all.It really helps to better understand my IRN and be more cautious.
You are more than welcome. I'm a slow learner when it comes to learning ringneck!

Ellie.
UshaVik
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Wicked looking beak! But a nice photo thank you Ushavik,
When you approach her with your hand go very slowly, talk to her and reasure her.
AJPeter
ushavik

Post by ushavik »

Thanks AJ Peter for the advice.
UshaVik