New IRN

Moderator: Mods

Waikare

New IRN

Post by Waikare »

So I picked up my 9 week old baby IRN on Saturday I held him at the breeders he was fine,
When I put him into his cage at home he bit me screamed his head off, now every time you go near the cage he goes spastic any help or tips guys
Thanks Michael
ellieelectrons

Re: New IRN

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Michael

From what you're saying I think your baby wants to be fed and nurtured. He probably just came from being with other ringies and constant companionship so he gets lonely. If it's baby mewling that he's doing, it will stop once he gets older.

Congrats on your little guy.

Ellie.
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

Hi Ellie thanks for the reply is it a good idea just to leave him in the cage for now until he settles down,
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Is he handraised? Is he weaned properly?
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

He is handraised not to sure about the weaning as this is my first handraised parrot
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

The breeder said he was on only night feeds and that he had been eating all week by himself, He was also in with 6 other IRN on wood chips, and this is the first time he has been in a cage
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think your little guy probably needs interaction and comfort, so I wouldn't leave him alone unless he seems really, really, really scared of you. The baby mewling noise is natural. Whilst as a human the noise can get distressing and make you wonder what you're doing wrong, it will eventually stop (and then you'll miss it <sigh>). I would contact the breeder to see if you should continue doing some night feeds as some birds will wean later than others. Are you seeing him eat? Might be a good idea to keep an eye on what his weight is doing. Do you have kitchen scales? I'd also recommend an avian vet check. My guys get yearly checks and it's good to start when they're young.

Ellie.
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

Hi Ellie so I got home from work and went up to the cage talked to him and he didn't go crazy so I opened the door and he came out on his own and I went around the room following him I could get within one foot of him before he takes off, he is now perched up on the curtain rail watching us watch tv, how would I get him down with out causing him to much stress as he still a bit weary of us and wont allow us to touch him
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Michael

Terribly sorry if I gave you some bad advice. I think most of us have had the won't come down from the curtain rail / ceiling fan / top of the cupboard experience and it's not fun :(.

I realise now I should have got some more information from you on your birds' behaviour. I assumed you were talking about baby mewling and no other behaviours... but perhaps I jumped too quickly to this assumption.

If it's night time in your place, you could try dimming the lights and towelling her as quickly and as gently as you can to put her in your cage if you can't lure her down with treats or anything else. Do you know how she was hand-raised at the breeders? You could try some formula and spoon or non-needled syringe - try to get it to be as much the same as what the breeder used.

Generally, leaving them in the cage for a week or so to acclimatise is a good idea... however, I thought the behaviours you were describing were because she was craving interaction, which is why I suggested you interact with her. Once again, terribly sorry if I gave some bad advice there. I hope you manage to get her back in her cage without too many problems.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
Ringnecks have a mind of their own!
I would take Ellies advice tonight to get him safe in his cage.
And then I would go through as many topics as you can in the behavior and taming section on here. There is quite a lot of discussion about similar things to what you are experiencing. Following a parrot around will probably not encourage the desired result. Convince him it is worth following you.

Good luck,
Claire
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

Hi Ellie you where spot on he just calls a couple of times when you do something with him as he is not use to it, I actually just put my finger under his belly he stepped onto it and I carried him back to his cage for a couple of hours, he ate lots while he was in the cage, so I decided to leave door open again he flew out walked around the floor I picked up put up on the curtain he did carry on a little but but there was no biting so, I think it's just the mewing you have described as now I can talked to him threw the cage he just sits there I offer him a sunflower seed he takes it but dosent understand what it is has he is on pellets
Waikare

Picture of my progress on day five

Post by Waikare »

So I have had Anakin for five days now the first two days where terrible as this is my first handreared parrot, I didn't know what to expect as he was screaming and caring on when ever you went near the cage, I thought I was doing something wrong, so I decided to let him out on the second day it calm him down a bit till I had to put him back in the cage, so on the third day I decided to let him out again It was a nightmare I had to chase him about the house to get him back in the cage he was screaming and biting and I was getting stress so was he as I thought I was doing more damage than good with earning his trust, so day four comes around he eating pretty good now and you can go up to his cage talk to him he is sweet as so I offer him a sunflower seed I cracked and took the seed out for him threw the bars of the cage no luck, so I thought bugger how can I fix this, this is what I did I got a chinese take away chop stick and split the end In half so that I could insert the seed closer to him he took it, I keeped doing this over and over slowly moving my fingers more and more towards the seed as I kept rewarding him till he took it from my fingers, that's when i introduced the clicker, so day five opened the cage front door he was a bit weary went back to the chopstick method for a couple rewards ten just using my fingers he took the treat repeated this few times using the clicker to get him use to my fingers, then I started to try and make him step up and down onto his perch by using clicker and treat low and behold it worked, one bloody happy IRN owner here pretty good feeling when the training session goes well, I might not be doing it correctly but it seems to be working I think now after 2 days of using the clicker he is associating it with getting a treat.
sorry for the essay but im just happy
By the way anyone tell me what colour green he is as he looks different than the normal colour
regards michael
Attachments
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG (85.3 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Good show Michael!! Great work. You've got it now :D keep up with the clicker training because good training is only as good as its consistency. Take it nice and slow. Never expect too much at once. And treat often. Your baby looks to be a grey green but the lighting could be throwing it off :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Waikare

Post by Waikare »

Hi Skye's crew I think you are right after doing a search on the Internet, as he has black flight feathers so that would make him a grey green
Waikare

Post by Waikare »

Week and one day later and I have had a harness on anakin who is now 10 weeks old he did bite the lead but he behaved pretty well, so i had him outside its amazing me how fast he is picking things up he will step up and up and up and up without treats but I still reward
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It not really revelant but for a bird who will not go back into his cage reminds me of the itme l worked in a gift shop in Oxford Street London and we kept the door open to encourage passers by to come in but pigeons would fly down and strut around on the threshold looking for food and as people came in they wouid fly up to the top shelves above every one's head. As soon as you climbed up a ladder to catch them than they would fly to the other end of the shop the best way to get them out was to wait for closing time and sit at the front door not allowing any one in and eventually the pigeon sees the coast is clear flies down and resumes his strutting in the door step, and then flies off.
When l rescued Billie from a neighbours garden l put her on hte back of a chair. My neighbour offered me a parrot cage. When we came up the stairs there was a lot banging but eventually we got the cage into my living room and my neighbour left. Billie was sitting on the curtain rail. l held my hand out and she flew down to it and i put her into the cage.
So if a bird wont go back into the cage, be patient turn off distractions and sit quietly eventually the bird gets hungry or thirsty and goes in.
AJPeter
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sounds like you are doing really well with your bird. Congrats. If you do want to interact with your bird out of the cage and are worried about her flying out of reach, you can always take her cage into a small room (eg. bathroom) and let her out in there. It can still be hard to get her back in the cage but easier than if she's got the run of the entire house.

Ellie.