Weird Behavior

Moderator: Mods

lilbare

Weird Behavior

Post by lilbare »

Gizmo is a 7 month old that was weaned by me. He was really sweet and then about 5.5 months old her start testing his limits we got him to stop nipping and he was mostly sweet unless we did something he did not like which I understand. About a week ago he started to get mean to me. If i try to take him from his cage or playstand or even touch anything near it he rushes to me and bites me. Today he bite my lip and put a hole in it when he gave me a kiss. he was being all sweet and then just bite me. Nothing really has changed in the house. Could this be bluffing or any ideas what could be going on?

He is in a 24"x22"x53" cage with rope, natural wood and a corner perch. he sleeps on a toy not a perch or he will be in the corner holding on to each side sleeping (done this since he was about 4 months old) He gets pellets, seed, and fresh foods daily. He is out of cage for at least 5 hours a day and I talk to him and try to teach him little tricks like peek a boo, and come here. He has tons of toys that he attacks if they get in his way or if they are in the wrong place.

Any ideas or tips would be great.

Thank you :)
TimVioletIRN

Re: Weird Behavior

Post by TimVioletIRN »

My little one acts similar. If i get too close to the cage or try to touch the toys, she will snap at me but I don't allow her to bite me. When I want to take her from the cage or the play stand and it isn't her idea, then I put something in her mouth first and then pick her up. Sometimes she is ready to come and other times needs coaxing. I'd recommend coaxing her off with a treat or a piece of wood. It sounds like cage territoriality to me, but I've only had my little one for about two months now. She is moody. She's about 8 months old.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Very good advice Tim. :D

Something is bothering gizmo. And as Tim said, it may be a territory thing. Is gizmo a DNA'd male? This sounds closer to female behavior. Although I have seen males protect their toys. I would try to switch up as many things possible in gizmos cage other than the sleep perch. Move the toys around. If you can, move the playstand to another location. If its not familiar she may not be so quick to protect it so fierce. Also do a forum search for foraging. Foraging can be used to further engage gizmos mind on more natural activities. Also for now, I would keep the bird away from places you don't want bit until you feel confident in her body language and reactions. Training is a good way to keep your bird busy and focused too. It'll give her a something to do that garners a reward so she'll be on her best behavior (most of the time) lol :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

lilbare wrote:he was mostly sweet unless we did something he did not like which I understand. About a week ago he started to get mean to me. If i try to take him from his cage or playstand or even touch anything near it he rushes to me and bites me.
I agree, sounds like he's being territorial. I would avoid those places whilst he is in/on them, but treat him lots when he is there. My dudes is the same, and sees it as defending his stuff. (He also bites randomly other times but I'm sure it makes sense to him lol) So if I want to change things around on his playstand etc, I just do it when he's out of harms way.
Loo :)
lilbare

Post by lilbare »

He is not dna sexed. Just hoping he is a boy lol. I sent in the dna test this week so we will see. He acts like a girl at times and other he dances around like the males do. He was really good yesterday about the biting thing. I change toys around about once a week and his perches around every two weeks. I will do it more often and see if that helps. Thank you!

Oh he has foraging toys and he hates them he will not go near them :(
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My birds are not fans of the store bought foraging toys. I make my own. Maybe you can try that :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

lilbare

Post by lilbare »

S/he is doing better but still not to happy with me if I mess with the cage lol. I still love him any how, I tried a new forageing toy and he just toss it on the ground. lol He loves to watch things fall and then have me pick them up and when I don't gizmo looks at me like hey i want that back why did you take it lol Gotta love them