How do i Know?

Moderator: Mods

Fidgit_Green

How do i Know?

Post by Fidgit_Green »

How do i know if Fidgit is trying to mate with me or not?

there have been a couple of time where Fidgit has done a strange little thing to my hand.

he starts by standing beside my hand and will start pawing at it with his foot, and the he will
shuffle himself up to my hand while sitting really low, kind of like shuffling along on his bum
like a dog does, and he will puff himself right up.
and i dont know if its just me or not, but when he does it he seems to have a glow about him
like he is extremely happy with himself.

if this is him trying to have his way with my hand does anyone have any advice of what i can
do about it, i want to discourage the behavior but i dont want to do something that might cause
him to turn on me or something because i turn him down.
any and all advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
Doodlebug

Re: How do i Know?

Post by Doodlebug »

Yep he sure does have the hots for you! There are lots of mating display videos on Youtube, if you look at those you'll be sure to recognise what your boybird is doing.

There are lots more knowledgable people than me on here but I have read that you should have someone take over the care giving of the bird, cleaning out cage, giving food, training etc, to nip the bond forming in the bud. But sometimes that isn't possible if you live alone or your partner isn't up for it. Maybe try walking away when he starts this?

I'm sure the others on here will have some more suggestions for you, good luck :)
Loo :)
Donovan

Re: How do i Know?

Post by Donovan »

Just redirect his attention. My bird will get to touching my cheek or jaw and then open his wings out, hop down, walk in a circle and come back and do it again. When he starts acting like he's about to puke me up a little treat I just shoo him away or give him a toy or something to distract him. Same thing if he starts shuffling his feet across
my shoulder, time to redirect his attention.