Ringnecks favourite food

Moderator: Mods

phlem_21

Ringnecks favourite food

Post by phlem_21 »

Hi

My bird seems to be a picky eater, he likes dried banana, sunflower seeds, monkey nuts, apple, steak meat and grapes. Iv tried him with almonds, toast, egg, peppers, baby sweetcorn, tomato, cucumber and onion.

iv not tried fresh banana, orange, chessy puffs, honey or chocolate which are all things other people have advised thier brid will eat

any suggestions please ? on what works for you and what i could try ?

thanks
SunniDai

Re: Ringnecks favourite food

Post by SunniDai »

I am by no means a pro, but I do think the things like dried bananas and nuts and sunflower seeds should be limited. The bananas are high in sugar and the nuts and sunflower seeds are high in fats. Important to have, but not in excess.
I've heard that some people do, but I personally don't feed my fids onions. Consider this: if you put an onion in the room with a sick person, overnight that onion will have absorbed the sickness of the person to a degree. Anything that can do that? Uh-uh...the fids don't get it.
NEVER never never chocolate! There are a few things they should never have: avocado, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine of any kind, and I've heard olives.
My two older ones are rescues and had never had anything but seed for four years of their lives. I get them and suddenly they are limited, poor babies :lol:
All that being said, there is a forum on here that discusses diet:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078
It's all a trial and error thing. What one bird likes, another may not. My youngest LOVES squash, the other two? Meh, they could live without it. The older female LOVES peas and hates lima beans, while the youngest adores peas and the male loves lima beans. And their moods change, too, so if you try it and they don't like it, don't give up trying it. Present it in a different way.
Leafy greens are great, too, and since these birds are foragers, try making their food a foraging activity.
Hope all this helps. :)
Dana
~Dana

Donovan

Re: Ringnecks favourite food

Post by Donovan »

Onions I believe can cause nerve damage over time with birds too.