Stepping up is becoming much more.....

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

Stepping up is becoming much more.....

Post by pattiB »

accepted by Gracie! She's done it almost effortlessly the past two days! No more standing there for 10-15 minutes for her to just do it! It now takes all of 2-5 seconds for her to step up.... yay! Happy Happy Happy! :lol: :D :P
Donovan

Re: Stepping up is becoming much more.....

Post by Donovan »

You can eventually evolve this into flying to you. Hold out a treat for her to step up and take. Once she's pretty good at it move your hand back a little so she has to really stretch to step up. After a while of this then move back enogh she has to hop over. Increase the distance slowly over time and (assuming she is or becomes flighted) she'll be flying to you when you call for her.

If you keep her clipped then nevermind all that other stuff :P
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

<<<<< Is very jealous :mrgreen:

My Dudes will just about sit on my arm if it is covered up with thick sleeves. If he sees my hand poking out of the end, he's off! :cry:
Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

<<<<<<<<<<<------------------EXTREMLY GREEN WITH ENVY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lol, we are sooooooo far from this stage, trust me. Aero wont even eat in front of me. Lucky I'am not the guy who gets offended easily or I would be like: 'You have no respect whatsoever and do not deserve my presence' :D .
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie steps up without any training l put my hand near her and she lifts a foot so show me she is willingto step up and she does. But l have suffered some big bites to get to this stage it is built on trust.
AJPeter
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

AJPeter wrote:Billie steps up without any training l put my hand near her and she lifts a foot so show me she is willingto step up and she does. But l have suffered some big bites to get to this stage it is built on trust.
AJPeter
Erm, that doesn't actually make a lot of sense, birds don't step up onto human fingers in the wild, so for her to do it you have to have trained her? I honestly don't understand why you are so against training your bird, they absolutely live for it, it is the easiest way for them to feel like they can communicate with us.

PS if your bird bites you while training, it doesnt trust you. Any time a parrot bites, means that you have not read it's body language correctly, they give PLENTY of warnings before they resort to that, as it is also something they do not do in the wild unless cornered..
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

A bit late in the day but l thought l would catch up all the answer l failed to give and Redzone thought l must have trained Billie to step up. But it depends on what you mean by training. With words as ecouragement yes but treats as rewards no. For me Billie was a foundling some one before me may have trained her with rewards but ldo not know.
AJPeter
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wow! Congrats. It's always worth the hard work, huh? 8)

Best Wishes,
IMRAN-C