For the first time today Gracie tried to regurgitate.

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

For the first time today Gracie tried to regurgitate.

Post by pattiB »

I let her out and she went to the top of her cage. This is all normal routine before she eats. Today, she walked around a bit while I was holding my finger out and her food bowl. Trying to coax her to come so I could take her to where she normally eats. She stopped a few times and did the head bobbing and regurgitated. I could tell she swallowed it back down. I didn't do anything but stood there. She did this about 4 times. Finally she stepped up to go to her playpen. Help! I know this should be discouraged. I'm also confused about her doing it. She is DNA tested. I have read some older threads on this also. Should I just turn my back? Thanks for all the input!
Donovan

Re: For the first time today Gracie tried to regurgitate.

Post by Donovan »

When my bird does it I fuss at him a little and then stop doing what i'm doing and find something else to do. I will tolerate a head bob or two but i'll change the subject before he actually ends up managing to give me a treat
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

She's too young to know what she's doing yet patti. She most likely had something stuck just right that she was trying to dislodge. Females may start this behavior around 12-14 months, but usually more like 15-18 months. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Skye? Gracie was doing this same thing again yesterday. At one of her toys. It was actually at the RED BEAD on the toy. I took the toy away. But again, she is almost 5 months old. Still too young? She does seem to do this intentionally. Thanks again for your support and advice...
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Does she get a sticky white paste in her mouth when she's doing it?

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

I'm not sure about that. It does seems she swallows something back down after she does this. I'll watch more closely next time. Thank you.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

If she does get that sticky white paste it's like a practice regurgitation. She may be an early bloomer. At least she's not directing the behavior at you. That's good :D

pattiB

Post by pattiB »

She did it again. After being out for her afternoon top of the cage time, she perched on her cage door and while Tessa and I were playing a game on the floor started doing the weirdest acting stuff and then acted like the regurgitation again. So we just ignore all this or should I tell her "No".??? Thanks!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Ignore the behavior. If you show any kind of reaction towards it, it reinforces it. Breeding season is approaching and the behaviors will intensify. So act as if you are not even seeing them. Turn your back on it.