Training IRN help

Moderator: Mods

Avaks

Training IRN help

Post by Avaks »

Hello , I have green IRN for year and a half , he is in a cage that i don't think is very large for him , but now i looking to buy a big one , i let him fly in the house often. The problem is that he is living in my house for that much and is still afraid of me , he eats from my hand when i give him food or treat, when he is outside he stands on my arm when i put it in front of him , what i mean by saying is afraid of me is that whenever i put my hand near him he fly away, when i put my hand near ( or in cage ) he starts to run like wild
I would appreciate if you can tell me how can i train him to step up on my finger when i call him and that he isn't afraid of my hand anymore?

Sorry for bad english , I hope you will help me.
Doodlebug

Re: Training IRN help

Post by Doodlebug »

Hello Avaks, and welcome.

I am at the same stage with my IRN, I know how frustrating it can be. But with patience it will come, they just need to spend more time interacting with us to know we are not going to grab them. Its great that yours is ok with being on your arm so that's a start, do this every day and slowly he/she will get used to the hand. I guess its all about consistent exposure, my bird let me touch his back for the first time yesterday, so now I will try to do this every day and eventually he will know that my fingers are good and not bad.

Good luck!
Loo :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I agree with Loo... and I'd like to add that you have made some progress if he eats treats from your hands... and well done for getting a new cage. There are lots of threads on this forum about taming "wild" birds. If you do a search you are bound to find some of them.

Ellie.
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello Avaks,
Welcome to the forum. My IRN Aero is also at a similar stage but a bit more behind. I have him now for around 3 weeks. The fact that he eats from your hand is a very good thing. Keep it up. I have still to wait for Aero to eat from my hand. If you stick around you will have tremendous amounts of knowledge. Stick with ellie, doodlebug, MissK, Skye... and you will have a pleasant relationship with your bird. What did you name him btw?
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Avaks

Post by Avaks »

Hello and thank you all for your responses. :D

By the way his name is Kiki. :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Kiki is such a lovely name, please keep us updated and post some pictures ASAP.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi avaks,

Since your bird will take food from you already, which is a great step in training, maybe you can start with a little recall training. Does he have a favorite food? I would withhold his favorite treat from his diet for a day or two. Then stand opposite him whatever distance is comfortable for him that he is not wanting to fly off. Show him the treat and then hold it behind your arm and call him to you. Keep your hand and fingers closed in a fist. It may take him awhile to understand what you are asking, but if you can get him to respond by flying to your arm, you've taken the first big step in hand taming him. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Avaks

Post by Avaks »

Thanks Skyes_crew thats a really good idea :D
Ill try it as soon as i have time and ill post here if it worked :P