Introducing an older bird help...

Moderator: Mods

Dan84

Introducing an older bird help...

Post by Dan84 »

Hi everyone,

I've just been given the opportunity to adopt my aunties 3 year Eclectus as she is emmigrating. I really want to jump at the chance but was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with introducing new birds to your IRN.

Mine is now only about 4 months old so I'm not sure how he will take to an older bigger bird coming along, I know each one is different and they may get on great, they may not. If any one has an experience to tell it would be greatly appreciated :D
Skyes_crew

Re: Introducing an older bird help...

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Dan. There's no guarantee that they'll ever be best friends, but you can have them co existing without blood shed. It just takes a lot of time. Playtime will have to be separate for a long time, and you'll have to watch for toes being chomped on when they land on each others cages. Over time, the novelty of the "new bird" wears off to them and then you can start introducing playtime at the same time. But you will have to keep a good eye out. Ekkie's are pretty laid back so I'd be more concerned for his safety lol. Are you keeping both flighted? If they have the opportunity to escape from each other it makes the transition smoother. I can always tell what kind of mood my one IRN is in by the amount of birds that come flying into the living room from the bird room shortly after I let them all out for playtime. She will kick them all out of the tree lol and they escape to me or to other perches in the house. :D and some of my birds are three times her size. It's quite comical.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Dan,

I just had to Google what an Eclectus was, I've never heard of those parrots, but how beautiful they are! Good luck with it all if you decide to adopt :)

Loo :)
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Thanks for the info. They are so beautiful Lou. I'm not expecting miracles and them to be best buddies but i wondered if there were any hard and fast rules were peoe have introduced a bigger older bird and it's a definite no no. I guess we will take things very slow and hopefully in time they will be happy to co exist... And maybe be pals :)
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

So have you moved your adopted one in yet? :)
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Nope not yet, as soon as he does I will get some pics up. At the moment the date is set for next Wednesday so it allows me enough time to get everything ready so his move can go as smooth as possible. Watch this space, so excited...
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Skyes_crew wrote: I can always tell what kind of mood my one IRN is in by the amount of birds that come flying into the living room from the bird room shortly after I let them all out for playtime. She will kick them all out of the tree lol and they escape to me or to other perches in the house. :D and some of my birds are three times her size. It's quite comical.

ha ha.. that's awesome
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Well we did it, we have now have a beautiful male Eclectus in our flock. We introduced them very cautiously to each other tonight and so far so good. They shared a bowl of veggies, played with the same toy and then the eclectus preened Milo's tail feathers. Was very sweet to watch but I was so nervous the whole time. It's very early days yet so I'm not going to get too excited yet. Also I finished their massive play stand, I will try and get some pics up over the weekend...
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yay!! Can't wait to see pics :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D