Alex flying to wife's hand. ringing bell for food

Moderator: Mods

komodo

Alex flying to wife's hand. ringing bell for food

Post by komodo »

I arrived home from work, kissed the wife. My wife had been training Alex to fly to her hand with great success. I said hello to Alex and called him out of the cage and onto the T- Perch. The wife show me Alex flying to her hand, getting a treat and then back to the T-perch. I was impressed as this is my wife's first training session with Alex without me present. I had a training session with Alex before dinner. At meal time, Alex decided that he didn't like his dinner of pellets, bits of apple, corn and carrot. So Alex sat on the perch at the entrance to the cage and squawked at us. I walked over and rang the bell at his perch gave Alex a sunflower seed and click the clicker once, then returned to the table and continued eating my dinner. while eating my dinner I was watching Alex. when Alex moved towards the bell I clicked the clicker once got up, went over to cage, again rang the bell at his perch, gave Alex a sunflower seed and click the clicker once, this time Alex touched the bell but didn't ring it. but I gave Alex a sunflower seed and click the clicker once for touching the bell.
I sat down to continue eating my dinner when Alex rang the bell and looked at me for a seed and boy was I surprised. I rewarded Alex by giving him a sunflower seed and click the clicker once for ringing the bell and got him to step up and placed him at his food bowl.
this all occurred in less then 15 minutes. but after dinner I continued this training thread for another 15 minutes. tomorrow I will repeat this training. (wanted good behaviour = Positive reward / positive reinforcement). to make Alex remember this behaviour.
TIP when around your bird carry a clicker and a small amount of treats on you and when you see the bird perform a wanted good behaviour by himself. click the clicker once and reward the bird with a treat, Positive reward / positive reinforcement.
MissK

Re: Alex flying to wife's hand. ringing bell for food

Post by MissK »

Hey, that's great!
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Awesome, my this Alex will be the IRN equivlent of Alex the african grey. :D Have still to work with Aero just to eat in front of me lol. Btw, what color mutation is Alex and how old is he? :)
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
komodo

Post by komodo »

close to ten months he is a blue split lace wing Indian ringneck not speaking but is chattering alot