Is this a good or bad thing

Moderator: Mods

Rebecca harry

Is this a good or bad thing

Post by Rebecca harry »

Help much appriciated. I had my two lovely male and female irn last night. There avairy raised so are untame. They seem to be coftoble and not flapping around if i go up to there cage. But noticed that werever i go both there heads are turned towards me and constantly stare at me. Is this a good or bad thing. How long before i should start taming thm. If i raise my hand to thm thn they will back off ive gave thm a choice of food and fresh water but havnt seen thm eating yet. There both 5months old
SCB 22

Re: Is this a good or bad thing

Post by SCB 22 »

I notice you say they are male and female, but in your very first post, you say they are from an aviary with lots of other, are they DNA sexed? just out of curiosity :-) Welcome by the way ! Staring is normal. all of mine stare at me from the moment i walk in the room, to see what im doing, if i have anything for them, and if i dont, why not! Give them some time to settle in before you start training... Seen as you say they are from an aviary, i am assuming their wings would be unclipped? You will find loads of info and methods on training and ideas in the forums, so enjoy browsing, you will even find alot of stories similar to your own! Good luck!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi and welcome Rebecca. We look forward to hearing about you and your lovely IRN's :D the forum has topic sections in which to post your questions. If you post under the right topic your question can get answered in a timely manner. The forum also has a great search feature in which you can search for previous posts from other members with similar problems who have already had their questions answered. It will provide you with hours of reading and tons of information. I hope you enjoy your new IRN's and the forum :D

You can see instructions on using the forum search features here. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17649
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Welcome Rebecca, sounds like natural curiosity to me.
Just takin a break !

Rebecca harry

Post by Rebecca harry »

Hi thanks for replying. They are definatly male and female. I have been given a dna certificate with them from the breader. They are not tame at all as from avairy. I dont want to push them but also dont want to leave just sitting there eaither. They havnt eaten a thing yet. Ive read that they will be very scared for a few days. But im a lill worried they will get weak by not eating. Last night i pit a grape in front if the famle she didnt bite it once but didnt take thing from it to eat. Jst bit it
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Out of curiousity, are your bird rung?
Rebecca harry

Post by Rebecca harry »

What you mean bird rung
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rung = for boys, got the ring around the neck yet?
-MissK
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

No no, i just meant, do they have a leg ring... As I am purely curious if they came out of a huge flock, of birds where there are multiple the same colour, that the breeder could be certain the 2 that Rebecca Harry has are a male & female... As they are only 5 months old, so there is no way to be certain, but she says she has certificates for it, was just wondering if the breeder was being completely honest, as he may have the paperwork, but was just trying to see if he had an accurate way of determining which bird, out of the aviary was which, if you understand my meaning?

I know if i had a huge aviary with multiple birds, say 6 birds all green, i may not accurately be able to tell which is which, unless they were rung?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I've moved this topic to the IRNs Behaviour and Taming forum.

Ellie.
Rebecca harry

Post by Rebecca harry »

Yes they both have rings on there legs which are matched to the numbers on there certificates. In the aviary there was all sorts off colours. Blue, co lot, luring, white e c t

I just want to know some advice. There feeding from my hand through the cage. The female wile slowly start coming when I have certain foods that's she loves but as for my male he is still very scared at the mo. I did put my hand in the cage and the female took from me. But I think I pushes her a little by stoking her belly a few times thn she bit me. I didn't take no notice. I removed my hand and continued feeding through the cage. The make stayed far away up the back. Any advice
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh sorry, we use the term band for the ring on the leg. :lol:

Advice is don't try to touch them any more until they are ready. Just continue feeding through the bars, and directly if they will come to you. *If they will come to you!* Don't follow or chase them. Let the willing one show the unwilling one that it's OK.
-MissK
Rebecca harry

Post by Rebecca harry »

They both have bands On there feet. My female will come around the cage to get what i have in my hand. But gets easily startled if she hears anothere noise. Also today male has been screaching nw and again for the last few days. Does this mean anything or is he just starting to settle in. An 1 more thing. When they take food from my hands before they bite they pin there eyes every time.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Continue to feed the female by hand. Practice, practice, for both of you. If you are feeding through the bars, try holding the food in such a way that she can reach the food but not the finger. If no bars, just turn the hand so the beak lands on the food, or reach around a dish or perch so you can arrange the beak doesn't hit your finger. **Exception**: If the bird simply touches the beak to your finger but does not hurt you, then let that happen. It will eventually stop. The bird does that to reassure herself the finger is safe.
-MissK
Rebecca harry

Post by Rebecca harry »

What wld u say to the male screaching nw and again. I put a few days insted of a few hours. Only this afternoon hes started doing it. Ive had them now for 5 days. How long does it usually take before they start trusting you to touch thm so i have a good idea. Also there 5 months at the mo im saying hello to thm more than talking in genrall to them. But are they to young to pick up words yet. Or isit good to keep saying hello