Spring is here

Moderator: Mods

Jen&Bug

Spring is here

Post by Jen&Bug »

Spring has officially arrived here in the Southern Hemisphere. As happens every year, my birds are reminding me that, even though they are wonderful for most of the year, they're still wild animals when the hormones kick in.

Rufus (sun conure) has turned into a small orange fury, viciously defending his various "nesting sites" and attacking any "intruders" who come near. This includes Lulu (greyhound), who has started taking refuge in the study with my husband whenever Rufus is loose, and my best friend (human), who visited on Sunday and got ferociously swooped.

Bug (IRN)'s "spring fever" is a little different. His amorous behaviour increases slightly, but the most noticeable change is that he refuses to go back in his cage. He just gets this dopey look on his face, as if he has no idea what I'm asking him to do, and completely ignores me, no matter what treats I offer. My husband and I manage to get him back in the cage eventually with a combination of bribery and shoo-ing, but it's a big contrast to his usual behaviour, which is to go straight in as soon as I ask him. And it only seems to happen in springtime - every year!

Fortunately, past experience suggests that these behaviours are likely to settle in a few weeks' time. In the meantime, we'll be enjoying the warmer weather, longer days, and other joys of Melbourne in spring :)
jmlw7

Re: Spring is here

Post by jmlw7 »

Jen&Bug wrote: Bug (IRN)'s "spring fever" is a little different. His amorous behaviour increases slightly, but the most noticeable change is that he refuses to go back in his cage. He just gets this dopey look on his face, as if he has no idea what I'm asking him to do, and completely ignores me, no matter what treats I offer. My husband and I manage to get him back in the cage eventually with a combination of bribery and shoo-ing, but it's a big contrast to his usual behaviour, which is to go straight in as soon as I ask him. And it only seems to happen in springtime - every year!
Remy hates going back to her cage too, she used to love it, now always pouts and puts up a fuss - its been going on all summer... I wonder what that is all about?
Jen&Bug

Re: Spring is here

Post by Jen&Bug »

How old is Remy? Hormone-related behaviour change can happen because of age, as well as time of year.

Of course there may be other factors besides hormones. Maybe the out-of-the-cage environment is more attractive for some reason. Do you tend to give her treats when she's out of the cage, or when she's in the cage? Maybe try having some really special "cage treats" that she only gets when she's in her cage (for Bug, this is cashew nuts).