My mistake with training.....

Moderator: Mods

084bar

My mistake with training.....

Post by 084bar »

As some of you know I have a Blue/green IRN named Peanut that has a few thing I would love to change like no allowing us to put our hand on s/he back but late week while trying to train it out of Peanut (with no luck). I have come to the conclusion that my Little Peanut big personality, s/he very tame, love my family and me, love talking to us and screaming pick a boo at us and I would not change it for any other bird.

So my big mistake, I was making was trying to train Peanut something s/he dose not want to do, so today I started training (shake head) NO, Can't believe it, first time and did so well. Although I did wait for Peanut to be ready and then did some training. I hope that Peanut will be able to pick up it all again tomorrow or later if s/he want to do more training with me......

Love this form, been so helpful
Regards
Barbara

Another Indian ringneck lover and Peanut

InTheAir

Re: My mistake with training.....

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sure peanut will remember the tricks like shaking her head. Nila loves doing tricks like that.

Personally I don't think it is worth trying to train tricks that contridict the birds nature too much. To train a ringneck that doesn't like to be patted to accept a hand touching them is one thing, it is useful to be able to hold the bird when, for example, someone opens the front door. If it doesn't like being patted, what is the point of teaching it to sit there and put up with it? It is good to look at why you want the bird to do something and whether it actually enjoys that kind of interaction. This works well for me and I have a great training relationship with our bird.

Regards,
Claire
084bar

Post by 084bar »

Peanut will let me pick s/he up on my finger and will also sit on my shoulder or fingers and when s/he wants to show off will put her head under my hand and squeak... to cute for words. It not like s/he trys to fly away from me, will stretch her neck and open wing when she want something. We have a understanding and I never take a chance, cage is far away from window or door that lead outside
Regards
Barbara

Another Indian ringneck lover and Peanut

Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi Barbara it sounds like Peanut is doing fine. I think it just takes time for him to get used to handling/petting. Remember you have a long time to work at it. :D
Just takin a break !

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

I agree with Dixie. It's not a good idea to force behaviours like being petted - just be patient, and keep reinforcing any little steps that get you closer to your goal (e.g. rewarding Peanut for letting you put your hand close to her back). Choosing to train something that she actually wants to do is even better!

I'm really pleased to hear that you're not taking any chances with letting Peanut near an open door. Our domestic birds aren't very good at recognising danger, so I feel that it's our responsibility never to give them the opportunity to make bad decisions, like going outside.

Keep up the great work. :)