My IRN trying to mate with me?

Moderator: Mods

Livewire1994

My IRN trying to mate with me?

Post by Livewire1994 »

Hey Guy's

I have a Indian ringneck I got her when she was a baby and hand fed her.. I got her DNA ed and it came back female ( in this artical I have few questions ) ... She was a sky blue with white head she changed colour for some reason will post a picture any who ... I live with my girlfriend out of home and she keeps trying to attack her even if I have her on my shoulder she'll literally fly to attack my girlfriend and she lets absolutely no one near her expect me she's very affectionate to me I'm the only one that can play with her and she try's kissing me on my lips and use to try to feed me ? And always go's into this weird position ill post photos can I get some help she only go's to me and I'm the only one that can touch her she does let my girlfriend scratch her but she go's all fluffy and white eyes
Livewire1994

Re: My IRN trying to mate with me?

Post by Livewire1994 »

Trying to add a photo won't let me ..
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Livewire

Welcome to the forum. It seems your bird has chosen you as a potential mate. You need to back off a little with your bird's care and let your girlfriend do the lion-share. I see you are looking at getting a second bird. This may or may not help with this bonding behaviour. Part of it will come down to whether your bird thinks she is human or a bird.

Also, are you planning for your girl and your new bird to share a cage? As a general rule, a female will not get along with another female, especially during breeding season... and even if you get a male they may not get along.

Ellie.
Livewire1994

Post by Livewire1994 »

Oh no way my girlfriend has a yellow male I get along with him and they both r separate cages like the cages are really big like every time I walk near her she puts her wings into a love heart and if I walk away she will walk back and forwards on her perch for some reason she also puts her head back and wings fanned out and tail down and her eyes go white and makes a weird noise
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Glad to hear about the cages.

It sounds like your female definitely wants you to be her mate. The display she is showing you is her encouraging you to mate with her.
It's not a behaviour you want to encourage. The only way to discourage it that I know of is for the favoured person to back off for quite a while. If you don't do something it is likely her possessive behaviour will get worse.

Sorry.

Ellie.
Livewire1994

Post by Livewire1994 »

What's the worst that can happen
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Displaced aggression is what will happen. Attacking people. Your bird has pair bonded with you. And it sounds like it has gone to the extreme. I have a female, Ellie has a female. My female does not crouch when I approach her cage. She recognizes that she is a bird and I am a human. Your bird does not realize the difference. The attacks will become more frequent, which will result in your wanting to cage her more often. You need to remove yourself from caring for the bird all together and let your girlfriend do everything for the bird. If possible, place the males cage directly next to the females cage. Don't make any eye contact with the female. If she crouches when you walk by her, turn your back and walk away. You will have to reprogram your female to realize that she is a bird again.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D