Scared IRN

Moderator: Mods

lovelypony123

Scared IRN

Post by lovelypony123 »

Hi, I'm new to this account :D. I had this IRN parrot for about a month and recently his partner has dies. He is 8 months. And he's soo quite and calm, everytime I go next to it, he always runs away and I have been sitting next to him every single day. And is there any taming tips or advice for to get his trust and is there any treats that I can give him? He doesn't even play all he does is sit in the corner, I heard from my friends that they are really active, and is there any toys that IRN like and should buy? He's so beautiful but I can't take him out of his cage cause he never come next to me :( is there anything I'm doing wrong?
Jen&Bug

Re: Scared IRN

Post by Jen&Bug »

Hi, welcome to the forum. The forum has lots of questions from new IRN owners who want to establish a good relationship with their bird. Have a look at some of the previous topics and you'll probably find some helpful advice for your situation - this will be easier than me trying to summarise all the great ideas on the forum in one post! :)

My own view about establishing the relationship is just to stay relaxed, positive and fun. Don't push limits, smile and laugh a lot and give your bird time to come out of his shell at his own pace. There are thousands of awesome parrot toys you could buy for him, and I encourage you to experiment to find out what he likes. If he's recently lost a mate, you might like to try a Squidilcious (http://www.myparrotshop.com/hanging-toy ... d_319.html) if you can get one where you live (it feels like grooming another parrot's feathers for your bird), or just a mirror to give him someone to talk to.

Good luck, and be patient.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi and welcome to the forum. I know you are upset right now, but don't let it get you down. 4 weeks is really not a long time for an IRN to settle down. On top of that he's most likely upset over the loss of his friend and the change in his living arrangements. He needs plenty of time to settle in. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't force him to come out, he will do it when he is ready. These birds live for many many years so the time you spend now teaching him patience and trust will pay off later on.

As for treats, apple and nuts seem to be the favorite. Sit there every day and offer the treat through the bars to him. If he does not take it, do not leave it there. Take it away and try again in a little while. IRN's love all types of toys. Stuff to chew, toys to preen, bells, ropes to climb. They are very versatile. But being that he is a bit scared right now, when you introduce a new toy,hang it outside the cage until you notice him playing with it through the bars. Then you can move it in.

Just give him time and a whole lot of patience and he will come around. Their curiosity doesn't stay buried for long :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. About toys- your bird should definitely have some. My bird's #1 favourite is his little kitty cat ball. Go figure. It is a little hard to know what parrot toy the bird will like, and what will just sit around and make you sad because he didn't play with it. You should investigate store bought toys, but also you can make them cheap at home. Having toys will not really make your bird more tame, but they will help him adjust to his situation, and you will get to see him moving around and being happy - which is desirable, yes? In addition, as you bring in nice stuff (like food toys) your bird can associate those nice things with you.

Because IRNs are not people, we have a lot of little things lying around that are not special to us which they see as toys. You can go out and buy parrot toys for him, but you can also make use of little things he might like. Ranechild's bird likes unused popsicle sticks. My bird love little seashells and large beads. He likes his toy I made of plastic shower curtain rings. If you can sacrifice a few poker chips, they're fun, too. Your bird might like a shoestring, even. I gave mine a large bowl with a rock in it (for traction) which he enjoys as a bath. He likes wooden blocks string on bird-safe cord and a little toy made of straw.

Don't overlook food as toys. It seems to be satisfying and fulfilling for birds when they get to play with their food or have to do some work to get it. This is basically what "foraging" means. The simplest kind of foraging I can think of to demonstrate this idea is to cook an ear of corn and then just lay it on top the bird cage, so the bird has to go stand upside down on the ceiling and reach through the bars to eat it. Another very simple foraging toy is the skewer that hangs from the top of the cage and swings away when the bird touches it. If your bird understands that green leafy vegetables are food, you can lay some of those up there, or hang them anywhere in the cage that will make the bird have to work a little to access them. You can weave them in the bars, tie them to perches, etc. You can stuff food into other stuff so the bird has to work to get it out. Make sure the bird sees you hide the food at first, and don't make anything so big it's frightening. As your bird learns it can get harder.

Don't forget to talk gently and quietly to your bird, at as close a distance as he will tolerate and remain calm. Sit quietly near the cage and do boring stuff- read a book, do some texting, take a nap, even. Let the bird see you are not threatening, but respect his personal space. One fun game is while you are chatting with the bird you blink in slow motion, and turn your head slowly so you only show him one eye at a time. Make different exaggerated facial expressions, and use those eyebrows. This stuff should make you interesting to your bird, and it is very non-predator-like behaviour. On the other hand, sitting still and staring at the bird is quite predator-like, so would be a better idea to not do that.

There are many other things you could do, but these are just what popped into my head as I'm having coffee and chatting with my bird. Please forgive the several typos -most of the coffee is still in the cup!

-MissK
-MissK
lovelypony123

Post by lovelypony123 »

thank you for all your messages and I will take everyone's advice