Would two indian ringnecks of the same gender get along?

Moderator: Mods

agross30

Would two indian ringnecks of the same gender get along?

Post by agross30 »

Just like the title said, I am considering getting two of the same gender, as I don't want to breed, or have them just bond with each other.
MissK

Re: Would two indian ringnecks of the same gender get along?

Post by MissK »

My understanding is that you cannot be assured they will like each other, let alone bond, though the bonding to each other is a very possible situation regardless of the gender combination. Popular wisdom says don't put two females together because they are likely to have conflict during breeding time, and not unlikely to have trouble other times. That said, my choice for combining IRNs is two males.

There are several people here keeping multiple IRNs. I'm sure they will have more experienced opinions to add.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It all depends on your cage setup really. If you're using an outdoor aviary where there is sufficient space to escape harm, you can put two of either gender. If you're aiming for indoor caged birds I would choose male birds only. Two female birds do not get along as adults, and are deadly towards each other during breeding season. Hope that helps :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

agross30

Post by agross30 »

Very good, thank you both for your reply. I recently had to rehome my female, she was attacking our quaker, and was upset because she had bonded with my husband, and he is gone three weeks at a time now, so she stopped talking and then more aggression set in. She is very happy now in her new home, has a male friend, and they spend all of their time together and grooming eachother and cooing. But I am considering another one, later on.
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Well... You don't REALLY want your bird to bond with a human, sure, having a bird that prefers company of a certain person is cool, but if an irn or other parrot bonds to a human it will cause all sorts of dramas.......