Nila's advice for new birds

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Nila's advice for new birds

Post by InTheAir »

His royal birdiness would like to share his knowledge about how to train a new human, for those birds that are having trouble getting their new human tamed. He asks that the human read this guide aloud, as most birds aren't good at reading.
Here is the first installment:
"Okay, you've just got a new human and it hasn't learnt the boundaries yet. Don't worry, humans can be slow, but with patience they can be trained appropriately. Mine fetch, come when they are called, talk on command and stay. I will share my training techniques so you too can achieve these results from your new pet human.

There are several techniques you can use to teach your human what is inappropriate, but remember they can take awhile to understand subtle signals. It is easiest to do this as a flighted bird, and you don't need to get blood on your beak to get your point across. If you have been clipped and your human is being a pain it is a good idea to give them a very big hint like stepping back or growling before you resort to biting, as this shows the human that it has overstepped the boundaries. Some humans don't read body language like leaning away from them very well, so make the warning as big as you can. You should only have to repeat this a couple times on a clever human before it changes is tactics and learns to offer you food. If you train your main human effectively it will help you to train the other humans around you.

When I start out training a new human I like to train it to be independent before I start giving it attention. Iwill sit on the curtain rail and wait until it stops watching me. Watch the human to ensure it is engrossed in what it is doing, then try flying a bit closer. It may take some time, but eventually your new human will get hungry and get some food. This can be a good time to introduce the rule of 'your food is my food' if you are confident enough. If not try looking pathetic and starving, the human will sense this and put some of its food in an easily accessible place for you.
If you have been clipped you can follow these steps from on top of your cage.

When you have your human acceptably trained to be independent you can start rewarding it by moving closer when it is behaving. Every human is different so you just have to judge when you think your human is ready to become your new jungle gym. Note: some humans scream when you land in their hair, so be careful of who you do this on if you don't like screaming humans.
I personally don't like a human to be too independent, so I usually start interacting with a new one as soon as it stops staring at me.

A good game to initiate is fetch. This is where you drop objects off the cage/bench/table and watch them bounce with an expectant look on your face. If your human doesn't react just try it with their car keys or sunglasses, to get their attention. Now try it with one of your toys. Add a little squeak of encouragement or hanging over the edge of the bench. If your human is still being stubborn throw every available object. I have never had one fail to react to the fish food going on the floor.
Training a human is hard work, but it can be very rewarding to have a responsive pet that does what it is told. "
ellieelectrons

Re: Nila's advice for new birds

Post by ellieelectrons »

Birdies from around the world thank you, your birdiness.

Janey & Charlie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila says that Janey and charlies contributions are welcome, as he has seen that they have trained their humans exceptionally well. He likes to see a well behaved, docile human.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Skye and Hamlet were curious if there was going to be a Q&A portion at the end of each installment starting with this one?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nila has gone to bed already, but he will be happy to answer any queries in the morning.
He firmly believes that a good night's sleep is essential to give a bird the patience to deal with humans all day.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Nila,

Your post gives great encouragement to birds with new humans! I had a lot of success training mine to exercise her creativity with a one-two combination of showing ennui or great delight over the toys she offered. Over time her gift-giving skills improved vastly. You've got to keep challenging them in this area to keep them growing.

Keep up the good work!

-Rocky
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Nila,

Could you do an installment on how to train a human to prepare our meals? I successively trained my human to create meals that never make me cringe, unlike my like last human, and my feathers look so healthy and shiny now. Although i must admit i loved to keep her guessing whether i would eat it or play around with it at one point. Hey, we all have to have a little fun :wink:

Fly on my feathered friend ~>~

Skye

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Rocky, you make a good point here and I'd to expand on it also. It is important not to let your human get overconfident in any aspect of the relationship. If it makes 2 delightful toys, you must reject one at least temporarily to prevent it from acting expectant. The same technique can be applied to play gyms and food also, even though it's hard sometimes.
I like to reject store bought toys until they have been modified, just on principal.

Skye, this is a very important subject. Would you be so kind as to share some of your experiences and favourite recipes with us? Good work on training your human. I still have to throw the occasional berry on the floor to remind mine that a ringneck does not want the same food 4 days in a row! They will learn one day. Honestly, they seem to think I am trying to play fetch... I have to walk all the way across the table and throw it behind the book shelf before they stop giving it back to me sometimes!

Sorry I have to cut this post short, so I can explain to my humans that I will not wear spectacles!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Nila,

my human used to think she was clever because she got me to eat the green stuff finally instead of those yummy seeds and nuts. I miss seeds and nuts sometimes, but I have to admit I feel much healthier without all that extra fat on my keel bone. But then my human got lazy and gave me the same green stuff all the time. At first i just threw it on the floor. But then I started walking it all the way over to my water bowl and dropping it in there. She got the point. (She's one of the smart ones like yours and Rocky's humans) ill see if my human will get some of her recipes together. I think you guys would like them.

Sorry about the spectacles mate. I think that was my humans idea. :oops:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the tip, Skye, I haven't tried the water dish with fresh foods...yet :mrgreen: I just use it to make pellet soup. There's nothing quite as fun as bobbing for pellets.

Part 2: Teaching your human to stay and come on command.
When you have your human working independently, it has some understanding of the cue for stay. If it walks closer to you uninvited you can fly away or show your warning signal (if clipped). Some humans will try to leave the room at this stage. It is imperative that they learn not to do this! It took me awhile to get a reliable result to prevent this, I tried contact calling like mad, only to hear a reply like "I'm in the other room, Nila. You have wings, move yourself." Humans can be so stubborn! After a while I realised that the sound of me initiating a game of fetch would bring them straight away. I get the best responses when I don't use my toys in this instance. Sometimes, like with the fish food, my humans sing and dance to show how happy they are to obey me! I don't know all the words, but it has the word parrot in it so I know it's for me. It has some words starting with b and f too. I have now trained them never to leave me alone in a room! Good human.
To get them to stay exactly still I just sit on them and go to sleep, but they do repeat "please wake up, I really need the bathroom" a lot. They still stay, so it's working. It is also a good way to keep your feet warm and you have easy access to any food, humans get hungry a lot.
I think it would be easier with a less spoilt humans, as you could sit on your perch, instead of the shoulder, and just panic madly if it moves. I haven't tried this myself, I'm just hypothesising. If anyone else has any experience in working this method please contribute.
Now you have the tools to get instant obedience from your human, we should discuss how to train your human to give you food in interesting ways and how you can celebrate Christmas every day of the year tomorrow.

Btw, i'm sure these spectacles make my beak look big. Please glare at your human from me, Skye.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Nila

I found this article about training humans and thought you might like it.
http://priceonomics.com/how-to-train-yo ... an-animal/

Janey Elinor (Elinor is my middle name).
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks Janey. I will pass that one on to my bossy human that complains about the other humans' attitude to cleaning up after me and cooking :mrgreen: I didn't know that humans were that clever!
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Oh, what a nice fun post this is. I'll just sit back and enjoy myself reading all this here. Hardly had time to visit this forum recently and has lots to catch up.

Ash
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

InTheAir wrote:
Part 2: Teaching your human to stay and come on command.
When you have your human working independently, it has some understanding of the cue for stay. If it walks closer to you uninvited you can fly away or show your warning signal (if clipped). Some humans will try to leave the room at this stage. It is imperative that they learn not to do this! It took me awhile to get a reliable result to prevent this, I tried contact calling like mad, only to hear a reply like "I'm in the other room, Nila. You have wings, move yourself." Humans can be so stubborn! After a while I realised that the sound of me initiating a game of fetch would bring them straight away. I get the best responses when I don't use my toys in this instance. Sometimes, like with the fish food, my humans sing and dance to show how happy they are to obey me! I don't know all the words, but it has the word parrot in it so I know it's for me. It has some words starting with b and f too. I have now trained them never to leave me alone in a room! Good human.
To get them to stay exactly still I just sit on them and go to sleep, but they do repeat "please wake up, I really need the bathroom" a lot. They still stay, so it's working. It is also a good way to keep your feet warm and you have easy access to any food, humans get hungry a lot.
I think it would be easier with a less spoilt humans, as you could sit on your perch, instead of the shoulder, and just panic madly if it moves. I haven't tried this myself, I'm just hypothesising. If anyone else has any experience in working this method please contribute.
Now you have the tools to get instant obedience from your human, we should discuss how to train your human to give you food in interesting ways and how you can celebrate Christmas every day of the year tomorrow.

Nila, I learned a valuable lesson this week. Believe it or not we have the ability to make our humans too independent. My human actually tried to go away on holiday and leave me with the "other" human. You know...the one who forgets to open our cage doors...the one who forgets to let us stretch our wings...the one who forgets our afternoon treat. Yeah, "that one". It's ok though, I fixed it. Day one I nibbled at some fruit. Have to keep your energy up and all. Day two I ate the beans, but dumped my bowl so he couldn't tell what I had eaten hehehe. Day three I painstakingly carried all of my food to my water bowl and dumped it in there. Let me tell you it was a lot of work, but the very next day my human showed up :D so in the end I got my human to come back and I bet she never tries to leave me again :wink: humans are so predictable

Now Christmas every day you say...please do tell

Skye

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Nila, this is Hamlet. Skye does the training of our human because I am very quiet, but I just wanted to say hi and that I love your advice :)

Hamlet

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nice work, skye! Sounds like you have your human tamed now, it shouldn't try that nasty going away trick on you again!
Hi Hamlet! You are so lucky to have help training your humans. You will also find that your quiet techniques will make the human pay more attention to you when you do need to modify it's behaviour.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Part 3 - Christmas every day
Training this trick in your human can be aided by teaching them some of your language. To do this you need to use repetition. My pet humans soon learnt to understand my words for yum yum thank you, I am annoyed with you and I am all alone and bored and lonely how dare you leave me out. To simplify this post I will refer to the first as praising, second as angry noise and third as a contact call.
The first and second are relatively easy to teach, but the contact call can be challenging.
To get your human to understand when you are praising it make sure you repeat the praise every time it handfeeds you something really nice. It will probably immitate you badly by saying "thank you". Don't worry if it can't talk properly, it does understand if it is imitating.
The angry noise is easy to teach, most humans understand a growl instinctively.
The contact call can be a pain, they try to ignore it. Either you can replace it with something that your human responds to quickly like a whistle or "what are you doing?" Or you can try my latest trick of doing your contact call really quietly, like you are losing your voice or sick. This is just as effective. When my humans don't come to a whistle immediately I like to use this one.

Not long after I got my pet humans, they got a Christmas. This is when humans wrap cool stuff in paper and give it to parrots (and humans). I helped lots preparing human presents to make them easier for the humans to open!
They gave me a new play set, a new cage for when I'm helping run my humans business and lots of yummy food wrapped up. They also made me a treasure hunt in my cage, this is when they hide treats all over my palace so I can try to find it. I enjoyed unwrapping my presents so much that I decided I should get a Christmas all the time. I actually like unwrapping presents more than eating or playing with the presents sometimes, but my humans don't get offended.
My humans try to outsmart me by hanging treats from the roof of the cage, from my wonky climbing rope, hiding presents in drawers and in toys but I am too clever for their silly tricks. They wrap my coup cup like it is a present and I can open the wrapping before a human can say "what are you doing?"
Also when you get a Christmas you get a tree to chew up. I thought that was a great idea and insisted they give me my own one for my palace.
By ignoring other toys when they are watching, I have ensured that my humans will not leave me in my palace without a treasure hunt and some puzzles. I reward them by talking in human while I'm thinking about which puzzle I should solve first and praising them in my native tongue. If they forget my Christmas I like to remind them by jumping up and down on my perch as if I'm going to fly out and alternating between my dejected contact call (the really quiet one) and my angry warning noise.

I don't spend a lot of time in my Christmas present cage, except when I am managing my humans business - he gets unpredictable humans and butcher birds so I quite like having somewhere to get away from them. I find I can still oversee the business quite well from there. I am very good with customers, and I always cheer them up by talking and laughing. Every human gets cheered up by a ringneck laughing when they get the bill for having their car repaired! My humans are so impressed with my management they let me take calls from telemarketers and the nice people who call to tell you your computer is broken! We don't have computer at work, but my humans always say "just a moment, I will get the manager" and give me the phone! Did you know that when you put your head in a coup cup and talk in human your voice sounds louder? Peekaboo sounds great like that. The people on the phone get very, very impressed too and then they always sing me the same song. It is a boring song, it just goes beep beep beep beep for ages.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Little Buttercup wrote:Oh, what a nice fun post this is. I'll just sit back and enjoy myself reading all this here. Hardly had time to visit this forum recently and has lots to catch up.

Ash
Hi Ash,
Nila had originally intended this to be helpful and informative for birds in uncomfortable situations, but he got a bit sidetracked :mrgreen:
He gets very upset when he overhears me reading some posts to my boyfriend, the ones about birds that are having a hard time teaching their people to be patient and drop their expectations.
He thinks if new birds make their humans read this aloud to them it will help them bond, what does kiwi think about this?
Nila also says that if the new bird is still feeling nervous after hearing his giant dissertation, that they should get their human to read war and peace aloud next. He says by the time they finish reading that book together they will be firm friends.
Nila likes books, he says they taste nice.
:mrgreen:
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

InTheAir wrote:Part 3 - Christmas every day
Training this trick in your human can be aided by teaching them some of your language. To do this you need to use repetition. My pet humans soon learnt to understand my words for yum yum thank you, I am annoyed with you and I am all alone and bored and lonely how dare you leave me out. To simplify this post I will refer to the first as praising, second as angry noise and third as a contact call.
The first and second are relatively easy to teach, but the contact call can be challenging.
To get your human to understand when you are praising it make sure you repeat the praise every time it handfeeds you something really nice. It will probably immitate you badly by saying "thank you". Don't worry if it can't talk properly, it does understand if it is imitating.
The angry noise is easy to teach, most humans understand a growl instinctively.
The contact call can be a pain, they try to ignore it. Either you can replace it with something that your human responds to quickly like a whistle or "what are you doing?" Or you can try my latest trick of doing your contact call really quietly, like you are losing your voice or sick. This is just as effective. When my humans don't come to a whistle immediately I like to use this one.
Nila, please remember that you can also train your humans to bring you with them wherever they may go in the house. Simple training methods like calling, flying and both used simultaneously are super effective. Both of my humans thought they can let me out of my cage and go to another room without me sometimes. How dare they? If you master your contact call in a low voice they will usually always come back for you, so start doing this first. But if they dont hear you and you instead call as loud as possible, they will ignore you for awhile but most likely just take you with them the next time they go somewhere. If they still ignore you, you fly after them and land on their head or back to teach them a lesson. At this point they will usually breathe loudly, put you on their finger and transport you to where they are going or back to the room we were in. If they are smart they would stay, if not and they leave again, just be patient with them and repeat the steps above. If you are in a rush or need them right away, try flying at the same time you are calling at the top of your lungs and land on them over and over. I guarantee after repetition more often than not they will take you with them in every room of the house they travel to. Piece of nut (i dont like cake).

-Remy
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Remy you are so smart. I like to keep my humans on their toes when they have other humans come over. My human tells them all that I'm very well behaved and that they should just forget I'm there. Well I don't like to be ignored. What bird does? I like to wait until they are all sitting around with food. I first go to the top of my cage to survey what there is to eat and to scope out what kind of humans are there. Sometimes if there are a lot of humans I get scared and I call my human to me. It's a good thing I trained my human because she always comes. But if there are only a couple ill start off doing something cute. Fly to the top of the TV, turn my head to the side, and say whatcha doin? It's a great ice breaker. All the humans make the sound awwwwww at the same time. Must be a flock call or something. Anyway, after that, you're in. At that point I fly to the back of the couch and start my rounds. Sometimes you get a jittery human...just keep walking. Don't forget to look pathetic and starving. Stay away from really short humans AT ALL TIMES!!!! I can't stress that enough. Most of the time it's a good time for all. I get yummy treats and I let them take a couple of pictures with me. I feel famous like rio sometimes :D

Skye

MissK

Post by MissK »

I have a different approach for visiting humans. We had one today, and I know she wanted to make friends, but she kept giving me her hand with No Treat! What kind of gesture is that?! I struck at her finger and she got scared. Well, fortunately, my regular human was there to explain about the treats, and showed the visitor where the nuts are. A couple of Wowie-Eyes later, and I had my very own, brand new Human Treat Dispenser! Those new humans really like Wowie-Eyes. Now, if only I could learn to say "You are getting Sleeeeepy, very sleeeeeeeepy..."

-Rocky
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

We are a great team when it comes to human training!
Remy, your humans might be a bit cleverer than my ones! Mine still tell me I have wings and know how to fly around the house to find them! grrr!
Rocky, isn't it so satisfying to have well trained humans?
Bubbles the fighter fish can hypnotise humans really well without talking, one human walks in the room with him and he makes it feed him. A little while later the other human will come in and notice bubbles is starving and feed him. I have been watching bubbles very closely and trying to learn his secret mind control technique.
I like this you are getting sleepy... good word, I wonder if it is as fun to say as doing doing and peekaboo. ...
Little Buttercup

Nila, you are a star! Wonderful advice you giving for us birdies that don't have trust in our humans.
But i'm lucky to have such a patient human. What can I do to make my human understand that I hate to go in the cage and its ok for me to sleep on the playtree. I don't see why should I go to sleep in the cage when I have a room to myself.

Kiwi
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Little Buttercup wrote:Nila, you are a star! Wonderful advice you giving for us birdies that don't have trust in our humans.
But i'm lucky to have such a patient human. What can I do to make my human understand that I hate to go in the cage and its ok for me to sleep on the playtree. I don't see why should I go to sleep in the cage when I have a room to myself.

Kiwi
Me too! I hate going into my cage at night! I should be able to sleep wherever I want to, I spend more time in the room than anyone else, it isnt fair. Someone help me teach my humans to leave me out all day all night

Remy
MissK

Post by MissK »

Kiwi and Remy, I think I have the solution for you. What you need to do here is train an incompatible behaviour - this is a really fine method of preventing lots of unwanted behaviours and should be in every bird's tool kit. I'm not bothered by this in my human, since she's never really here at bedtime, but I think it may help you:

Have a look around the human's place, and chances are you will spot some sort of bottle. If you can read it, learn to pronounce the word on the label. If not, just try repeating "Time for a Nightcap!" a wee bit before bedtime. If you find they pick up the bottle on that prompting, then you simply have to repeat "Bottoms Up" until the human forgets about you and wanders off. Other useful training phrases might include ""Time to Unwind" and "Drink! Drink! Drink!"

*Note: Be careful not to try this too early in the day, or it could interfere with your supper.

:D
-Rocky
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Hahahahaaa, Rocky! I wonder if it will work on my human..... hmmmm.....

At times I thought that my human forget about me and I start sleeping on the playtree only to awoken rudely and made to go in the cage and covered up with a blanket!

Remy, it really is unfair this, do our wild counterparts sleep in cages? I don't think so, so why should we? I too have a whole room and am free nearly the entire day, just when my human thinks its a lovely day and I need some sun then I have to go outside.
About once a month my human comes home very late then I get to sleep on the tree and I feel so nice and happy to wake up on my own time and start waking everyone else up! I can't wait for that day, think its going to be this weekend :wink:

Kiwi
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Rocky, that is the best idea! Then I could sleep on my humans on the couch!

Nila
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey kiwi,
Have you tried tucking up one foot and having your head behind your wing when the human tries to make you move to bed perch? That one works a treat for me. I know they are trying to make me move, so I just tuck my head in harder and grip the offered finger with the tucked up foot, if they want to keep trying. They give up for a while after that, until they notice I'm watching them through the other eye.... I only do this when I am on a shoulder. It is a good sleepy perch, it keeps my other foot warm. Good human!
Nila
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

It's past my bedtime! :lol:

Rocky You are one smart ringneck!

x
Nila
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Rocky...you called that one. Nila you look so comfy. How was it sleeping where you wanted. Were your feet warm?

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

That's a great trick! I can't wait til I can talk... I'm working on it. My first words are going to be "Drink, Drink, Drink!"
-Fats
solobaby

Post by solobaby »

this must be the universal parrot guide to human training because my 4 trained me this way :lol:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skye, it was sooo cosy! But then my human woke up and put me in my mansion because I wanted to go toilet and then he forgot about me and covered my mansion!
Next time I make him finish the bottle all the way!
I will keep trying and one day they will learn!

X Nila
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I got some different humans coming to visit me lots last week! Most of them didn't understand "what are you doing?" But even the littlest one knew peekaboo. They were very well behaved, but a bit scared of me even though the big one was almost as big as my favourite humans mother. My favourite humans mother is only a little scared of me, and stays very still and lets me chew her glasses when I land on her.
The best thing about these different humans is that they loved watching me find my xmas presents! I showed them how to solve a paddle wheel and they clapped! Now they know how to do it themselves! Then my humans put some sunflower seeds in my big mazy munch and I pretended it was hard and they made lots of funny human noises and laughed lots. Then the smallest one played connect 4 with me, but she wasn't very good at it and kept making the game too short. After a few games she got the hang of it. They kept ducking every time I flew over them so we played that game lots. It was funny! I could still buzz them while they tried to duck! When I got tired I showed them how to pull up my favourite chew toy on a string and put it in my dish so I don't drop it while I'm chewing. They liked that! It was nice to have humans cheering my xmas. They got xmas from my humans too, I helped make their presents easy to open. They liked that too.
I think they can fly, but they didn't do it in the house. My humans were asking about their flight to get here. They have flown home now. I liked those humans.