Remy attacking while playing? Is this normal behavior?

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

Remy attacking while playing? Is this normal behavior?

Post by jmlw7 »

Hi all, this is a very new thing with our 11 month old assumed female. She usually plays with my lip balm, throws it, gnaws on it.. whatever. Yesterday afternoon, she started this eye pin feather spread attack strike thing but still looks like she's playing with it. It startled us as we've never seen it before. It sort of looks like a cobra snake/raptor/puppy attack mode :lol:

This morning, I was able to record it... I have no idea if this is still playing or aggression or good or bad, but we were really trying to suppress laughter as it was really funny to us. Not sure if it should be though...

anyone ever seen this? attack mode starts around 30 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FxEj5wipWM
ranechild

Re: Remy attacking while playing? Is this normal behavior?

Post by ranechild »

I'm going to piggy back on this thread...

Fats has been making growling noises while he thrashes his shreader balls and throws them around his cage. He's pretty much acting like a dog. Is that normal? I can't successfully interact with him in this state, he just lunges if I interupt his violent play.
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

ranechild wrote:I'm going to piggy back on this thread...

Fats has been making growling noises while he thrashes his shreader balls and throws them around his cage. He's pretty much acting like a dog. Is that normal? I can't successfully interact with him in this state, he just lunges if I interupt his violent play.
Hi rane - Remy does this too, I think this is definitely playing and normal. She usually does it with her foot toys. She will throw foot toys around with a flick of her head and a little growl. Maybe its their babyness playing? She also growls if I stick my hand near her food bowl while she's eating. One time she snapped at me and got my finger but it was a silly gentle grumpy bite. I usually dont bother her when she's eating, but sometimes I like putting the food she's dropped back in her bowl, she probably thinks im so annoying being so close up in her space sometimes :lol:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nele growls at his toys and plays rough like that too. It is so funny! We have never worried about him expressing himself like that and he's never done it too us, so in my limited experience, it doesn't appear to be a problem. He doesn't seem to mind us laughing :D
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

InTheAir wrote:Nele growls at his toys and plays rough like that too. It is so funny! We have never worried about him expressing himself like that and he's never done it too us, so in my limited experience, it doesn't appear to be a problem. He doesn't seem to mind us laughing :D
Thanks Claire - does Nele do the eye pinning with wings spread attack as well? I probably shouldnt be concerned if this is a baby thing then, right?

From the video it's like she's calmly playing, then becomes vicious suddenly. She is continuing to do that every day too... hope that's normal :?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Josie...Skye pins while attacking his toys. Hamlet I think is still too young yet at 6 months. Not sure. He's just so laid back. He just finally found his voice a few days ago lol. But Skye really gets into attacking his bells in his cage. He will run from one end of the perch to the other, wings slightly out eyes pinned and just let that bell have it. It's really funny when the bell swings back at him and he's stunned for a minute :lol: he also has a swing that he gets on and gets that thing swinging really high and attacks this hollow vertical chime bell toy thingy (gotta love my description). I tell my husband I'm afraid he's going to fly right off of his perch, he swings so high :) for me though I think it is completely normal behavior. Eye pinning is not only aggression. From what I've read, it's a form of showing any heightened emotion. So I guess extreme play excites them :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D