No longer tame...

Moderator: Mods

agregory413

No longer tame...

Post by agregory413 »

So I have an 8 year old IRN that has been through quite a bit. When I got him he was a year old rescue. He was hand raised and tame when the last owners got him. They didn't do anything with him and ended up sitting in a pet shop for 5-6 months before I picked him up. I had his wings clipped and then worked with him everyday to get him tame again. Eventually it worked and he was able to sit on my shoulder, couch, and even be pet on the head by me and my old roommate.

About 3 years into it I had some work issues and was moving around alot so I couldn't keep him with me. He stayed at my moms house after that where he got tons of attention and good food, but was never pulled out of his cage again. This went on for about 2 years. This is when I got a house and was able to bring him back with me. He seemed very happy to be living with me again, but he was back at bitting again. So I kind of gave up on being able to handle him again.

Forward to know, I have been having some issues with him regurgitating all over one toy he has in there. I know that is a normal thing to do during mating season, but this has gone on for quite some time now.

So my 2 big questions are, is there a chance I could tame him again? And if I could do this, will he stop using his toy as his girlfriend? :D
MissK

Re: No longer tame...

Post by MissK »

Hi. Of course you can tame him again. Just start at the beginning.

As to the toy, you let me know if you have an answer. My bird fed everything he could from Christmas to the 4th of July (just about) and then just stopped.

-MissK
-MissK
Melika

Re: No longer tame...

Post by Melika »

A few things that can be done, take away the toy that he is his fixation. Change his cage around, introduce foraging, and begin taming, you just have to do it all over again- but chances are it will go faster this time. He's been there, done that, he should get the idea quickly.

As far as regurgitating, you can try a change in diet. I found Hane regurgitated over everything excessively after a few months of being on Harrison's pellets (I have known birds on this pellet to do well, as did my 'tiel, but Hane did not). I took him off the Harrison's and he stopped regurgitating within a week. Sometimes it can be a simple thing.

I'm glad you finally have a situation where you can bond again with your bird. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay