opions on clipping a birds wings?

Moderator: Mods

ziggy13

opions on clipping a birds wings?

Post by ziggy13 »

Ziggy is 12 years old and just recently came to live with me. He is social and likes to sit on your shoulder or head lol My question is what is everyones ideas on clipping wings? I don't mind him flying around my house but I do have other animals that have to be locked up when he is out.
MissK

Re: opions on clipping a birds wings?

Post by MissK »

Hi. I'm living that life, just a year ahead of you. Don't clip.

-MissK
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Afternoon. I have had both clipped and flighted Ringnecks, and I am discovering the joys of having fully flighted birds. It is all a personal preference with each owner. I may never clip again :)
Dana
~Dana

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Flighted!

Btw a clipped bird is more likely to get into trouble with other pets as it won't be able to fly away.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

No clip. I think it's a joy to see a bird fly.
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Great to see everybody here agree that birds are better off being flighted.

Now my two cents worth are. You are talking about an older bird that has been flighted.
When you take in a older bird like this, clipping can count against you. I feel you need to bond with it through love and trust. Not dominance.
When training it is better a bird can fly away from you when it has had enough.
Another way of thinking is! A bird has two choices in life when something is a threat. Flight or stand and fight.
Most birds will choose flight and may not even know how to stand and fight.
Yet another angle is, No flighted bird will get a full cardiovascular workout with out flight time.

Clipping brings in new dangers that a lot of those who clip will not except or tell about.
One Lorikeet I had a super close bond to would throw himself off things to get to me. Needless to say he would crash. Not a pretty sight, thank god he never got hurt.
Not being able to get away from danger. There are a few people I know who have told horrible stories about this.
Is a clipped bird more prone to flying into things! Yes I think this is true as it is putting more effort into staying in the air then where it is going. In a panic flight this can end badly with the bird flying into things. I have heard so much rubbish about "I clipped him because he flew into something. Yes young birds and panicked bird will do this, but if they are settled and given the chance they can learn to navigate around the house and even learn about glass.
Why do I say this? Simple I have introduced my birds into an all glass conservatory and do they fly into the glass? NO!
Some clipped birds can still fly away from you and escape. I.E. A fit healthy Cockatiel allowed to fledge fully will still be able to fly with a full clip of primaries and tail feathers. I know this as I have seen it with my own eyes.
While I do not agree with it, clipping when they are young may not have such a bad impact on them.
And I should add there are some circumstances when clipping has to be considered an option. Like aggression.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay will Never be clipped, I don't care if I never get to stroke him or pet him, I love him the way he is, feisty and spirited, cheeky and fickle.