Will he EVER want me to pet him again?!

Moderator: Mods

tobiloh

Will he EVER want me to pet him again?!

Post by tobiloh »

My baby shows he loves me, he's always on my shoulder and sits with me through all of my daily activities. When I study, he sleeps on my shoulder, and he loves to sleep with his beak in the crook of my nose or on my cheek.

But he doesn't like being pet at all! Is this just his personality or is this his "bluffing" as he is only 4 months?
tobiloh

Re: Will he EVER want me to pet him again?!

Post by tobiloh »

Also, is there anything I can do to make him more happy when I pat him?
JConvry

Post by JConvry »

I have a similar 'problem' with Jones, my male IRN. He will play games with me and sit on my shoulder for as long as I entertain him, but the second it looks like I might pet him, he flies away.

I've cheated a little bit and before I cover him for the night and he is too tired to escape, I gently pet and snuggle and kiss him. He's learned that it's nothing to be afraid of, so he deals with it better now, but he doesn't seem to ever like it.

I'm going to try some clicker training with his favorite treat at the moment (dried raspberries), and see if maybe that will warm him up a bit.

Bottom line though is that IRN's in general are just not snuggly birds by nature. I just enjoy it where I can get it.

I hope yours warms up to you though!
tobiloh

Post by tobiloh »

Thank you for responding! :)

Yea I understand that now. One of our babies, Blizzard will sit through any petting session, Beau seems to be the more "wild" of the two. If anything, I will simply take out my cuddling frustrations on Blizzard :D

Dried raspberries?! Thanks for that one!