Yet another biting question

Moderator: Mods

seanw

Yet another biting question

Post by seanw »

We've hand raised a pair of ringnecks and they are about two and a half months old now. One is really nice, but the other can be agressive occasionally, and bites to get his/her (we don't know yet) way. He's usually friendly, and we'll usually respect what he wants to do and not pick him up if he doesn't want to come, but if he's somewhere he's not supposed to be (chewing on a cord for example - already in a bitey mood), he'll bite when we ask him to step up.

We don't react to it, but (here's where the problem is) he bites the other bird in their cage to get his way which keeps reinforcing that biting works. Any ideas besides separating them, or is that going to be the best solution?

Thanks.
Hakaishin

Re: Yet another biting question

Post by Hakaishin »

The safety of the other bird comes to mind. Separating them (at least temporarily) may be the right choice - at least to grant time to address the problem.
InTheAir

Re: Yet another biting question

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

I haven't had to deal with biting, so this may be a shot in the dark or it could be part of the reason our bird doesn't bite...
Whenever Nele is playing with something we don't want him to have we trade him for another toy, generally something he doesn't have access to often but really likes (my keyring was a favourite until he destroyed it completely). When we step him up to get him away from an object it is a positive for him, he gets a toy or a kiss or to go on a shoulder (which are his personal preferences).
In your situation I would probably be giving a food treat for stepping up (you can use the treat as a lure at first), to make it more attractive then a power cord.

Missk has written some brilliant posts on her strategy of blocking bites with treats and other objects, so have a read of her posts on biting.

If the other bird is being bullied or damaged caging them separately would be advisable.

I hope that is helpful.